Author Topic: Street fighter II DMD and VUK issues.  (Read 637 times)

Offline Baz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Street fighter II DMD and VUK issues.
« on: March 15, 2009, 09:04:38 PM »
G'day fellas,
I'm after some help with my SFII. The problem is mainly with the DMD and 2 vertical upkickers. Often during play the VUK's become weak, and don't kick out the ball as well as they should and when this occurs the DMD begins to fail (it blacks out in various areas of the display). The problem with the DMD will remain in attract mode also. One moment the machine will play perfectly and the next it will produce the above mentioned problems.
Has anybody come across this sort of problem before?

Cheers,
Baz

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Street fighter II DMD and VUK issues.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 09:10:49 PM »
G'day fellas,
I'm after some help with my SFII. The problem is mainly with the DMD and 2 vertical upkickers. Often during play the VUK's become weak, and don't kick out the ball as well as they should and when this occurs the DMD begins to fail (it blacks out in various areas of the display). The problem with the DMD will remain in attract mode also. One moment the machine will play perfectly and the next it will produce the above mentioned problems.

Cheers,
Baz

Hey Baz,

I'm fairly sure Nino has had a SF2 (could be wrong here)..If so he will know it back to front!

It would be unusual for both to be related?  But have you checked the coil sleeves for the VUK.  If they are worn or very dirty can cause issues with strength of the VUK etc..  You can try cleaning them with nifty / water (if really dirty) or novus..(out of machine of course)...

Is the display loosing blocks from random spots?

Have you checked the pinrepair guides?

http://www.pinrepair.com/sys3/index.htm#display

I've never worked on a Premier (Gottlieb) so shooting from the hip here.

Also check and reseat the connectors which go to your display board and the other end onto the boards (MACHINE MUST BE TURNED OFF FOR THIS OR WILL DAMAGE!!!)

Offline Baz

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 09:30:21 PM »
Thanks for the reply Marty. I've looked at that pinrepair guide many times, it's fantastic and has been very helpful.  I feel like it might be a power issue. Maybe at or around the transformer?
The VUK coil sleeves and one of the coils are new.
The display blacks out in random spots. It's more like a fading out, and at its worst half the display will fade out.
I've checked and reseated the connectors to no avail. I think I"ll eventually buy a new DMD as I think this one has seen better days, but I'm not sure what the problem is with the VUK's.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 09:48:33 PM »
It could be PS related - as you play, the PS components may be heating up and sort of failing, thus not producing enough voltage for the DMD? I would measure the voltage (carefully) coming to the DMD both when it is OK and then when it is not displaying correctly - could give you a clue.

Or it could just be a connector issue.

Offline Baz

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 09:57:29 PM »
thanks AJ, I'll try and get a couple of voltage readings

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 11:06:26 PM »
G'day fellas,

Cheers,
Baz

Hey Baz,

I'm fairly sure Nino has had a SF2 (could be wrong here)..If so he will know it back to front!

It would be unusual for both to be related?  But have you checked the coil sleeves for the VUK.  If they are worn or very dirty can cause issues with strength of the VUK etc..  You can try cleaning them with nifty / water (if really dirty) or novus..(out of machine of course)...

Is the display loosing blocks from random spots?

Have you checked the pinrepair guides?

http://www.pinrepair.com/sys3/index.htm#display

I've never worked on a Premier (Gottlieb) so shooting from the hip here.

Also check and reseat the connectors which go to your display board and the other end onto the boards (MACHINE MUST BE TURNED OFF FOR THIS OR WILL DAMAGE!!!)

Yep - I had mine since new and the only problem it ever had was a failed coil ! I sold it to a member here about a year ago.

So I don't have that much experience on a system 3 - However - From the descriptions - it  sounds like a power supply or connector from the power supply. Does the pop bumper and flippers lose power ?

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Baz

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 12:08:35 AM »
G'day mate,
The pop bumpers and flippers are fine and strong. I'll try and do what ajlaird suggested and get some voltage readings tomorrow, if I can figure out how from the schematics. This is all pretty new to me.

One more question. Should the DMD make a humming noise? It's not that audible with the backbox closed but when you open it, it is quite noticeable. The pitch of the sound changes every time the display changes.

Thanks everyone for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 12:35:11 AM »
i`m the mermber with nino`s machine.mine is woking 100% now and a fantastic game.if you need help with volt readings etc pm me.damien
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline Baz

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 12:58:07 AM »
no worries Damien, cheers

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 08:58:49 AM »
G'day mate,
The pop bumpers and flippers are fine and strong. I'll try and do what ajlaird suggested and get some voltage readings tomorrow, if I can figure out how from the schematics. This is all pretty new to me.

One more question. Should the DMD make a humming noise? It's not that audible with the backbox closed but when you open it, it is quite noticeable. The pitch of the sound changes every time the display changes.

Just be careful - we are talking 175V or so - even though this is low amperage it can still give you a kick.

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 09:04:43 AM »
G'day mate,

My LAH (D.E) had  the humm from the DMD...Would change with light show as well.  This was normal on a D.E.

Offline Baz

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 11:59:02 PM »
Problem found! There's nothing wrong with the machine, but it is a power problem. It's the dodgy house wiring. The problem occurs when the out side unit for the ducted air-conditioning turns on. Hours wasted on something so simple!!!!

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 09:42:52 AM »
Simple answer, not so easy to work out! Well done for solving this one - will keep it in mind for future reference.