Author Topic: 1978 PHOENIX RESTO & PURCHASE  (Read 1331 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: 1978 PHOENIX RESTO & PURCHASE
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 03:35:57 PM »

Define "spanking new" Brett    &&

The side rails, lock down bar and door fittings were are brushed stainless steel. Not Chrome. If you are faithfully restoring the game, the only chrome parts are the legs, legbolts, cariage bolts on the door and shooter assembly. It will be cheaper to source NEW Williams chrome legs from PBR. These are non ribbed (not the same as SYS11 / WPC), and they will look AMAZING.

It is your machine to do "what you want with it", but I'm a purist, and I just thought I'd give my  :2cents:
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 04:33:18 PM »
Good luck with the resto Brett man you have a good memory I struggle to remember my teens but can remember my 1st pinball at 12yrs old which was playball.

Peter

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 05:47:25 PM »

Define "spanking new" Brett    &&

The side rails, lock down bar and door fittings were are brushed stainless steel. Not Chrome. If you are faithfully restoring the game, the only chrome parts are the legs, legbolts, cariage bolts on the door and shooter assembly. It will be cheaper to source NEW Williams chrome legs from PBR. These are non ribbed (not the same as SYS11 / WPC), and they will look AMAZING.

It is your machine to do "what you want with it", but I'm a purist, and I just thought I'd give my  :2cents:

Good point Nino. The machine didnt come with a chrome finish as you know. I had all the chrome work done on my Gottlieb Freddy - A Nightmare on Elm Street, and the look of the chrome work, compared to the standard brushed stainless steel is dramatically more appealing/bling etc. It was a hard decision to go with "Original" versus non original, but I felt that the bling would bring an extra edge to a machine that doesnt seem to set many people on fire with excitement (until they play it etc).

With PHOENIX etc, it seems to be a SS machine that alot of people dont  know or see as one of the best SS machines out there (although Jeff and I will probably say we love it.lol) but because it is a mainly pink cabinet, I reckon the chrome work on this pin will really really set it right off. Again, its a fine line between keeping a machine Original or adding something aftermarket. I am the same with LED's versus STD bulbs etc, its a hard call.

I will probably still go with the chrome work, but I will take on board your opinion before rushing in. Overall, its going to turn out nice which ever way I go. Maybe if i clean up the original stuff, It may change my mind. Most people would probably chose Original. You might change my mind yet.  

P>S - i can get each original leg rechromed professionally for $25 each, the lockdown bar for apx $50, the siderails done each for about $50/$60, and the entire door n surround for probably $100 to $150. The largest chrome works factory in Australia is apx 15 minutes away, and another member put me onto them 12 months ago. This is why the forum is so great.  ^^^
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 06:21:50 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2011, 09:40:09 AM »
Nice addition Brett and great to Own a machine you played so many years ago.

I personally like the look of the brushed stainless but seeing one of these old girls dressed in chrome might be enough to drag my eyes away from all that pink. %.%

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2011, 07:00:46 AM »
A great story of your youth Brett, it doesn't matter what you do to your game as long as you love it, especially when it is a long term keeper. Have fun.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline howzat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2011, 10:59:03 PM »
  Hi   isnt it great when you can get a game you use to play all those years ago    Phoenix was in Parramatta where we use to go and we would always have a game  it was 2yrs old   I like the colours it sure use to stand out  #*#

well done on your purchase  it will be good to see when your finished      Howzat

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2011, 11:08:25 PM »
brett,i also have a project phoenix.ifyou go through gavin for the stencills let him know i would be intereted in aset also,(may be cheaper,lol)i have mine 95% working.stay tuned for my thread to follow.ps i would keep it original,mate as nino says.
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2011, 01:24:28 AM »
I was going to do the stencils my self. On this machine, it will be very very easy. There is really no benefit in dragging the cabinet up to Gav, when I can do a set here, very very easily.

Since I will be doing a set for myself, I would be happy to do u a set as well. PM me your postal address again.  ^^^

p.s - how is your backglass, i am going to get a brand new one made, no expense spared on this title.  ^^^ ^^^

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline rustalan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2012, 02:05:29 AM »
I have also just had this machine delivered this week. would it be possible to see a photo of the powerboard and just below it as mine also has come from Germany but has 3 extra fuses placed just below the board.

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2012, 03:32:26 AM »
there should be at least one fuse under the power supply for the G.I.
the other 2 may have been installed before the 2 bridge rectifiers.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline rustalan

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2012, 02:24:19 PM »
Over the weekend I will take a shot of the fuse holders and pop it on here for you to see.

Offline rustalan

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2012, 02:32:06 PM »
So much for elite German Tech's  !@# Also found the power to the sound card was missing the power supply side of it's plug.[/img]

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2012, 02:40:16 PM »
the fuse on the card with the link is standard.
Looks like they have split the load from for the G.I. from 1 fuse to 2 fuses.

it shouldn't cause any dramas. but the fuses should be a lower value than what is in the manual, they only have around half the load compared to having all the G.I on 1 fuse

looks like they couldn't find the correct size fuse for the piggy back fuse on the power supply so they just used what they had.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 02:42:16 PM by beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2014, 01:22:45 AM »
Update.

I have been busy moving house n changing businesses and storing and selling machines and buying new ones, so the Phoenix was put aside to do some other things, BUT I have done the following >

1. All boards in the machine have been totally professionally restored back to brand new with no expense spared by Beaky(Andy) and all the boards look better than brand new with all parts that could be replaced on the boards done.

2. I bought all Brand New pinled displays from the USA with a Brand New Master and Slave board so she will come up a beauty.

3. I purchased a second populated playfield from Rob at Bikecity so I can make/choose the best playfield and inserts etc from both populated playfields before I get the playfield fully prepped and clearcoated.

4. I have made my own stencils and its now time to go to the paint shop.

5. Making space in my garage/spa room to do the Phoenix and will document with photos

6. Also got a 9/outta 10 spare backglass as the first backglass was pretty much stuffed.

7. This job will be my first full blown restore, and I know it will come out a treat, cause If I get stuck, I will just pay someone who really knows what they are doing.lol   but we should be fine, so much info on here re restorations anyway n so many great people to help via a sms or PM or phonecall.

Will take some photos n will add over the next week.

Brett

Offline studley67

• Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2014, 04:59:38 AM »
Update.

I have been busy moving house n changing businesses and storing and selling machines and buying new ones, so the Phoenix was put aside to do some other things, BUT I have done the following >

1. All boards in the machine have been totally professionally restored back to brand new with no expense spared by Beaky(Andy) and all the boards look better than brand new with all parts that could be replaced on the boards done.

2. I bought all Brand New pinled displays from the USA with a Brand New Master and Slave board so she will come up a beauty.

3. I purchased a second populated playfield from Rob at Bikecity so I can make/choose the best playfield and inserts etc from both populated playfields before I get the playfield fully prepped and clearcoated.

4. I have made my own stencils and its now time to go to the paint shop.

5. Making space in my garage/spa room to do the Phoenix and will document with photos

6. Also got a 9/outta 10 spare backglass as the first backglass was pretty much stuffed.

7. This job will be my first full blown restore, and I know it will come out a treat, cause If I get stuck, I will just pay someone who really knows what they are doing.lol   but we should be fine, so much info on here re restorations anyway n so many great people to help via a sms or PM or phonecall.

Will take some photos n will add over the next week.

Brett

brett,it will be great to see this old girl back to new.I know you will do a fantastic job on her.P.S how dis the stencils go?did you make me a set.I currently have 3 cabs in the paint shop,shed.1 more wouldn't hurt.
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you