Author Topic: Playfield overlay question UPDATE  (Read 404 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
Playfield overlay question UPDATE
« on: October 03, 2010, 12:09:24 PM »
I'm thinking of attempting a small project soon that may involve an overlay. First off do overlays detract or effect game play at all? Is it hard wearing or requires clear coating? What type of material is a good overlay made from ie. thickness etc?

Finally does this resto decrease the value of a machine or scare off some buyers?

My other option is painting which as we know may be a difficult task.

Thanks for your thoughts.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 08:40:31 PM by pinball god »
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Playfield overlay question
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 01:46:38 PM »

A FULL playfield overlay looks good (sometimes) but will play SLOW. Most I've seen are rubbish. Some are so bad that you need floodlights for the inserts to light up. I'm not a fan at all.

A partial overlay - such as a mini playfield - I don't have as much as a problem as there are usually less lights and mini playfields are usually tucked away.

A Decal - Smaller areas where there is not enough damage for a partial overlay are fine.

Value of a full playfield on a machine ? My opinion is that they substantially decrease the value on titles such as KISS and Playboy - simply because these two games are valueable and most sellers would not mention that it is an overlay to trap unsuspecting buyers. I guess it is more acceptable on machines of lesser value.

Painting - More and more skillful pinheads are performing playfield restoration. Five years ago, you had to send them overseas. I'd post pictures of your project Rob. Let some of the knowledgeable guys form and opinion.

:2cents:
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 03:08:07 PM »
I hate overlays....

Using an overlay and then declaring restoration, best youll see, mint etc is like McDonalds saying they have a Michelin star

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 10:46:30 PM »
Will post  some pix hopefully this week end.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Playfield overlay question Update
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 08:36:24 PM »
ok got my hands on a nice second hand mini playfield (untested yet), so now can consider what to do with the old one.

I have attached a couple of shots of the old one and one of the recently purchased one. Disregard the faded look on th eones that I used a flash. I tried to really show the planking etc.

So what do you think I can do to improve the old playfield, ie. overlay or other thoughts?

Offline el_timbo86

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
Re: Playfield overlay question UPDATE
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 08:56:22 PM »
Great that you got your hands on another field!!

I'm not a fan of overlays, and while they look great in the short term - they will not hold up down the track and will ultimately detract from the resell value (if that is important to you).

As soon as you start tightening down posts down onto the overlay, it will want to pull away from the timber as the post is turned resulting in delamination. That stress, is only further magnified when you unleash a pinball into the area, as every bump against the post will help unsettle the adhesive and lift the overlays edge.

I think the best option would be to pull the mini-field apart, and look at getting it refinished with a new 'diamond plate' aka 2pack clear coat. This will address all previous issues, and keep things nicely protected through further years of use.

Timbo

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 10:24:07 AM »
Great that you got your hands on another field!!

I'm not a fan of overlays, and while they look great in the short term - they will not hold up down the track and will ultimately detract from the resell value (if that is important to you).

As soon as you start tightening down posts down onto the overlay, it will want to pull away from the timber as the post is turned resulting in delamination. That stress, is only further magnified when you unleash a pinball into the area, as every bump against the post will help unsettle the adhesive and lift the overlays edge.

I think the best option would be to pull the mini-field apart, and look at getting it refinished with a new 'diamond plate' aka 2pack clear coat. This will address all previous issues, and keep things nicely protected through further years of use.

Timbo

+1

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 11:17:15 AM »
Rob,

I missed this post before, but I'm with Timbo.  If the mini playfield was mine, I'd give it a very very light sand, clean, degrease etc and clear coat.  You would be surprised how well it would come up.

If you want to experiment with it, let me know!

Offline Greg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 01:01:26 PM »
Rob l'd take Marty up pn his offer  as I think a overlay will decrease the value of a game

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 01:10:49 PM »
If the mini Pf were mine id be cleaning her up.
Heres what i would do.

A VERY light sand

Clean up with meths and ME - same as you would ball swirl to remove most of the dirt from the cracks.

Then a very light colour wash on each of the colours... this is a very thinned out wash of paint.. it makes all the imperfections disappear and will colour the planking cracks.  I normally do this with a very soft sable brush thats not dripping but its not dry either... it leaves no brush marks

Then a CC.

PF will look like new again

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 01:24:42 PM »
Hey Rob
           Gav is on the right track then a clearcoat ^^^