Author Topic: Mad Max Pinball  (Read 4401 times)

Offline Brettski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
  • Since I Was A Young Boy I Played The Silver Ball!
    • Strikes and Spares Restoration
Mad Max Pinball
« on: June 11, 2016, 11:47:47 PM »
How cool is this!

I think it is a re themed Meteor but the finish on it is fantastic.

These guys also produce a range of re themed machines called Sunset Riders, surfing is not my flavour but the work in these machines is brilliant.

Has anyone here seen or played one of these before?

Cheers: Brettski... :)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Mad Max Pinball
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 12:26:54 AM »
Meteor is one of my favorite Classic Stern machines. In this particular time period, it was a FAST and addictive machine. Galaxy and Nineball were close second place. Brilliant and DESIRABLE games.

These "re-themed" games are appalling. In context - consider the asking price on similar butchered titles. If you re theme for the purpose of re theming a game to retain, then I can understand it (missing backglass or trashed playfield).

Destroying iconic games like Eight Ball for the purpose of profiteering.. !*!

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 02:30:40 AM »
They are for sale for a premium price but I wonder if the resale would be anywhere near that price
I think anyone would be foolish to sink that amount of money into a re-theme
No doubt they look well done but....

Offline Goingpinsane

• Forum Posts:
  • Wa
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 02:49:17 AM »
What price would a meteor pull restored compared to the re-theme? Or what would it be worth before the restore?

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 04:00:12 AM »
The money people used to pay for re themes I did at bumper was just rediculous but I guess if you want a particular Pinbal theme you have to pay for it.     

Pinbot and Gorgar were the worst ones the rest were crappy titles.   Gorgar had a totally trashed Playfield so I don't feel to bad,   The first Pinbot I didn't feel bad about the 2nd and 3rd incouldnlive with but the 4th one really should have gone into my collection

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 07:42:43 AM »
Over-priced re themed pos.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline KBRI1700

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 09:41:34 AM »
I have played Sunset riders, a beautifully prepared machine but the gameplay was meh.

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 09:49:07 AM »
The detail and work that goes into them is astounding.
But, as CC says the $   ^&^ .
I really love the artwork on Sunset Riders but you can't play artwork. Was the original Strikes and Spares?
Mad Max has a more solid base as I too like Meteor.
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
  • Since I Was A Young Boy I Played The Silver Ball!
    • Strikes and Spares Restoration
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 11:20:47 AM »
That is a fair call regarding destroying good machines to do this , I was unaware of the business model and how they go about it. I was really quite gobsmacked at the way they came up.
I am looking for my next project and considering a re theme if I find a suitable doner machine that is beyond resto from the artwork point of view. I found these during my research and was also gobsmacked at the price so I don't think they would sell too many but who knows!

I also found this one and the guy who made it goes into how to use the MP3 Trigger to manage the sounds which I have been working on and this info helped immensely.
Due to the recent release of Ghost Busters I thought you might like a look at this, not sure on the history of the donor machine and if he wrecked a good pinnie or not but I like what he has done..

Cheers: Brettski... :)

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 11:28:18 AM »
What price would a meteor pull restored compared to the re-theme? Or what would it be worth before the restore?

$2200 - $2600 ish. Dealers would ask for upwards of $3000 for a "fully done up" machine with minimal work.

I'm not bagging the quality of work (I don't like the theme), and it is possible that the original game was trashed anyway. But doing multiple games in a "series" at monstrous prices rules out that possibility.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2016, 11:39:30 AM »
While not a fan of rethemeing, why care?

the games that they are doing it to are not rare games, they were made in the 1000's and there are hundreds of examples in AUS

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2016, 11:56:33 AM »
While not a fan of rethemeing, why care?

the games that they are doing it to are not rare games, they were made in the 1000's and there are hundreds of examples in AUS

Personally, I don't care. but when a game is "re themed", the first thing that comes to mind is that the original game was trashed to begin with, so a re theme would be more of a love job - a weekend project. But to create a SERIES and ask for $16,000 - $20,000 raises the odd eyebrow. I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to buy at that price, even in today's market.

Whirlwind converted to Metallica - Was done for the band. It didn't appear for public sale at massive profits.
Rolling Stones to Iron Maiden - Same thing. Was not done with the intent to sell

I don't think I've even seen "rethemed" games for a purpose of selling at massive profits. So why would anyone do such a thing other than the motivation of money ?

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2016, 12:14:13 PM »
Been around for a while but this is a really well done retheme of a Hollywood Heat to Evil Dead

Hollywood heat has really cheesy art so no big loss there
Kinda cool how he utilised a Black Hole spinner to create a cool effect in the head
I think this generation of Gottlieb are a lot more versatile and powerful for a retheme than an late 70's early 80's Bally

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2016, 12:32:29 PM »

I don't think I've even seen "rethemed" games for a purpose of selling at massive profits. So why would anyone do such a thing other than the motivation of money ?

I opened a bakery to make a profit
ARP exists to make a profit
all the backyard mod makers dream of one day making a profit

the guys making Sunset Riders series of games, if they can find buyers at those prices, good for them

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2016, 02:47:27 PM »
Been around for a while but this is a really well done retheme of a Hollywood Heat to Evil Dead

Hollywood heat has really cheesy art so no big loss there
Kinda cool how he utilised a Black Hole spinner to create a cool effect in the head
I think this generation of Gottlieb are a lot more versatile and powerful for a retheme than an late 70's early 80's Bally

That was the other re-theme. Again, done for the collector's interest and not for re sale.

I opened a bakery to make a profit
ARP exists to make a profit
all the backyard mod makers dream of one day making a profit

the guys making Sunset Riders series of games, if they can find buyers at those prices, good for them

Every individual makes a profit. Even the Catholic Church (richest institution on the planet)..

OK - Let's use the Bakery analogy. Do you bake a Pie, and then change it to a Pizza and sell for 4-5 times the original price ? No one would do that.
APR will NEVER re theme any game - period.

The point I'm making is that these re themes are not done for the same reason as 99% of re themes are done (Metallica, Iron Maiden, Evil Dead..). Those Surfing games are done specifically to sell. Not as a hobbyist converting a dead game. I appreciate the effort and dedication. I believe they are being done to showcase the skills of the artist - BUT - to sell at huge prices.