Author Topic: AC / DC Competiton State Final and Meet - Victoria  (Read 8247 times)

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Re: AC / DC Competiton State Final and Meet - Victoria
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 06:06:43 PM »
Will there be many machines there other than the AC/DC?
Is Leo setting up many of his games?

Hope so to both your questions lol

Peter

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2012, 06:12:39 PM »

You would certainly hope so, otherwsie there is no point going unless you were in the competiton.
Will there be beer?
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2012, 07:42:23 PM »

There will be other Sterns at the venue. Pinheads are encouraged to bring their own if they wish. If I get the time, I will be bringing my "almost restored" Viking for people to play. That's ONLY if I get the time (I have not even started it).

Any idea of whether this will be afternoon or evening?

I'll find that out and let you know  ^^^

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2012, 11:01:48 PM »

A couple of questions are answered in Bruce's email back to Leo this week ;

1. What time will event open and close , when will player identification and registration be,and when will competition start ?

All machines have been requested to be in the venue and ready for free play by 12pm. The event will open at 12pm and allow everyone to play machines or have a coffee or food. The competition will start at 1.30pm sharp and the period between 12pm and 1.30pm will allow all player registration to take place.

The area set aside for the competition is a section off area of the main hall which can accommodate upwards of 150 people. The rest of the venue is also open which can accommodate another 600 if necessary.

2. What time will presentations to 1st,2nd and 3rd be done ?

Presentations will be made around 3.30pm

3. How many pinballs will be available to play – (set on free play and must be working properly) ?

We only have about 10 pinballs as well as the four for the competition ***

4. Food and beveridges on the day ?

Food , coffee and alcoholic beverages will be available

*** Anyone can bring their own game to the event to trade, sell or promote their Services. Email Leo at Cashbox for more details.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2012, 02:29:30 AM »
So can anyone enter the comp on the day? Or is it only people that have played on sited comp games already.

Peter :-)

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2012, 04:58:21 PM »
I'm out then, we have a work xmas party for the kids during the day

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2012, 10:04:23 AM »
Unfortunately I think my son is having his birthday party that afternoon!

Doh!

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2012, 08:49:41 PM »

Don't forget tomorrow - I'll be there around 1:00 PM - looking forward to catching up with everyone (who attends)  *%*

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2012, 09:08:12 PM »

Don't forget tomorrow - I'll be there around 1:00 PM - looking forward to catching up with everyone (who attends)  *%*

Please take photos guys to post...goodluck to the finalists and hope all of u have a really good time and enjoy meeting other AP members.
Well done VIC members...
P.S - a hint from a AC/DC owner for maximum scoring, change songs as often as u can, and get real good at shooting the left ramp from the left flipper over n over again to get multiball set up n complete by then hitting right ramp shot...take ya time and follow the flashing lights which will lead u to maximum scoring on the Pro....have FUN !
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2012, 06:11:41 PM »

I just got back from the comp, and I need to vent a little.

First off - Hats off to AMD, Cashbox and Norbert - They did a fantastic job running the comp and the prizes were simply AWESOME.

If I was a Stern rep, I would have been HORRIFIED at the turn out. It was abysmal. When are Stern going to learn about putting some marketing money into pinball downunder ? APPARENTLY, this event was advertised by MMM. But no one can tell me "when" these ads were running, because I don't know ANYONE that has heard the "Ad". There was NO promotion anywhere, at any time. It was so disappointing, and underwhelming.

I hope NEXT TIME (and there will be a "next time"), we Victorians will have more time to organize things a little better !

I guess my next point might be "off topic" - But there's a "pinball culture" issue that was completely evident. I accept that there was SFA advertising, and the only way I found out about the comps was when Bruce called me 3-4 weeks ago. But us Victorians simply don't leave our collections and socialize with other pinheads, and we don't interact with industry people. Our NSW counterparts are always having comps and meets. There's always something happening in Perth, and Queenslanders do get together from time to time. I can't put my finger on it..

Most of the industry heavyweights are in Victoria. More machines enter Victoria from overseas. Yet only a handful turn up to our event ?

Norbert and I discussed this, and it is a very strange nut to crack. The NSW Stern Symposium is going to be huge - Gary Stern in attendance and most pinball people will be going.

I'll post pictures later - I can't recall the winner's name, as the screen was tiny and is unreadable in my photos. The aggregate score was around 71 Million.

Again - I commend Norbert, Cashbox, Legends Bar (the venue) and Stern for their efforts today. The prizes were unbelievable !

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2012, 06:21:45 PM »
do you recon NINO people who know about these comps keep them under wraps for a better chance at winning?

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2012, 06:29:08 PM »
Unfortunately the politics in pinball has claimed another casualty it seems. 

I have given up on holding any form of meets at my place.  Granted I am in the middle of nowhere but it simply isn't worth the effort when there is little to no interest at all.
Addicted to pins.

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2012, 06:33:31 PM »
What kind of attendance numbers would you estimate?

From my understanding, Vic and Tas finals were combined. Was there anyone representing Tassie in the State final there? Did Tassie even have a machine to qualify on in the first place?

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2012, 06:49:39 PM »
I think there were 8 competitors. One didn't show up. Each if the competitors had a friend or partner. I would estimate no more than 25 people at this event. I don't know if any of the contestants were from Tasmania.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2012, 07:02:49 PM »
I am a little confused about the AC/DC Comps....and would have handled it differently from the organisers point of view.
Heres an example. In QLD, to be able to play/compete in the upcoming QLD version of what you had today Nino, which is the 1st December coming for QLDers, you had to get a high score apparently on a machine around the traps where 3 or 4 AC/DC Pro machines are located in 4 different locations (locations unknown to me except one !).

(this is where the problem starts)  In order to get a invite to play in the comp on the 1st December, you had to travel a good 25 to 30 kilometres to play and pay for a play on a AC/DC Pro.  That is very difficult for working people during working hours etc..and will people travel so far on weekends...and even if u did that and played a AC/DC machine, how do u know if your high score has or hasnt been beaten, which means u have to keep going back....this doesnt work....works for the operators pocket perhaps, if u travel, but you just cant keep going all the way back...

OK, so keep that style of comp only for a local prize pool of $100 for that machine only for locals who play that machine...but for a big comp, or a state final, it has to be a bigger place and qualifying on that day needs to be open to all...
What Stern/AMD needs to do from now on, is advertise heavily thru the forum, via the AMD usual email announcements, get us to use word of mouth etc, and have a qualifying tournament at a given location, where alot of us can turn up, and compete against each other and so on...

Then, when it comes to the Final (where u win prizes or something excellent), everyone will still turn up and give it a go...but there is no incentive for people who didnt get a high score on a machine 30 kilometres away to compete up here say on the 1st December, cause we cant win anything, or even brag about coming a place in the comp...its also harder, when people like me who own a AC/DC would love to compete, but the AC/DC machine at Timezone was in filthy condition, with the first ever software on it, compared to the latest software I have here, 6 updates later...

The whole format needs a tweak...at least well done Nino for your attendance and enthusiasm.  ^^^
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 07:11:35 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !