Author Topic: AC / DC Competiton State Final and Meet - Victoria  (Read 8249 times)

Offline Greg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
Re: AC / DC Competiton State Final and Meet - Victoria
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2012, 07:26:04 PM »
I think there were 8 competitors. One didn't show up. Each if the competitors had a friend or partner. I would estimate no more than 25 people at this event. I don't know if any of the contestants were from Tasmania.

I see the point(s) your making Nino
but to be fair 25 people is pretty good considering its probably the  first "real Industry" comp
that I can remember in at least 10 years in this State

at the same time I don't think 4 weeks was enough time to organise this sort of Event
we can only hope that Leo gets more notice next time
http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/
We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2012, 07:33:50 PM »
I went to a location on the website and they didn't have a machine to qualify on and thought I was mad lol so yeah it was hard to even qualify and as you said Brett you'd have keep going back to check you still have a highest score , I'd hope to go today but due to staff members calling in sick I copped nightshirt.

Peter

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2012, 07:48:45 PM »

Pictures of the event

Here are the competition machines set up with the trophies and prizes in between them

The Prizes. All contestants recieved a T-Shirt, Cap and a medal

During the Comp - The eventual winner was the guy in the black "Johnny Cash" T-shirt

Waiting for the results as the scores are tallied up

The Winner and his spoils !

^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2012, 08:17:39 PM »
Nino, to your knowledge, did the organisers get any serious interest in any machine sales/purchases ?.....even seasoned players could fall in love with a new machine and look at buying as well.   Those Premium models sure look nice in the flesh...

Did u play the Pro or the Premium Nino ?   thoughts.....
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2012, 10:39:40 PM »
Nino, to your knowledge, did the organisers get any serious interest in any machine sales/purchases ?.....even seasoned players could fall in love with a new machine and look at buying as well.   Those Premium models sure look nice in the flesh...

Did u play the Pro or the Premium Nino ?   thoughts.....

I think all four were NIB. They were that good !

The event was strictly focusing on the competition. I would have hoped for more promotion that may have brought in the "mum and dad" types that previously would not have had exposure to Pinball. I think this kind of strategy might be incorporated into next year's competition. I certainly would have liked attendees "outside" of collectors and hobbyists - without focusing on the industry / commercial sectors - which would be hard to do. There has to be a balance.

I spoke to a family member tonight that listens to radio "all day, every day" - and he had not heard any promotional advertisement of the competition. This is what needs to be fixed.

I didn't play any of the AC/DC pins, as straight after the comp, they were all played and I had to leave.

I can see potential in the future of these competitions. Create enough hype and you will draw in the crowds. Have an AMD Distributor on site with a NIB "box" in the vicinity, and who knows what could happen.

Offline Prince

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2012, 10:59:52 PM »
Any members rock up with their pinnies?
SC.

Offline TSPP

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2012, 11:20:51 PM »
 ^^^

Glad I didn't, the way some of these guys treated those pins I was in shock. Hitting the glass in anger during the comp. the winner almost kicked some of those NIB AC/DC's.

Some of those guys need to show some more respect IMO.

And while I'm at it, if you plan on starting a 4 player game by yourself, finish the f**king game. Otherwise play one player. To many players left with all four players still having 2 balls each. I don't want to walk up and finish YOUR game. Ungrateful bastards.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 11:23:38 PM by TSPP »
.....something witty here

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2012, 11:32:51 PM »
^^^

Glad I didn't, the way some of these guys treated those pins I was in shock. Hitting the glass in anger during the comp. the winner almost kicked some of those NIB AC/DC's.

Some of those guys need to show some more respect IMO.

And while I'm at it, if you plan on starting a 4 player game by yourself, finish the f**king game. Otherwise play one player. To many players left with all four players still having 2 balls each. I don't want to walk up and finish YOUR game. Ungrateful bastards.

TSPP, EXCELLENT post....that pisses me off too...I would love to see what they would do if u went to their house n treated their games like that..

**& **& **& **&
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2012, 11:50:41 PM »
I to hate people leaving games halfway through with the machine waiting for the next player just play a one player game!! Hitting someone else's game is plain rude.

Peter

Offline Prince

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2012, 12:01:23 AM »
Congrats to the winner.

I wasn’t aware of today’s gathering, until I read this thread from the first page before and to be honest, I had no real interest in participating the AC/DC comp.
I’ve only played Park Hotel’s LE version just the one time and came across King’s Entertainment’s Pro by accident (wife was shopping @ DFO Moorabin).

Hopefully AMD can continue such a comp for next year.

Food for thought – have any of you distributors approached management @ Westfield/Centro/Independent shopping centres for a pinball machine to be leased out?
Can’t see why not, considering a kids ride is under your portfolio/forte.

Ps - long drive for you Jared.
SC.

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2012, 05:48:22 AM »
AMD paid for the tassie person to fly down to this event and he eventually ended up fourth, I believe.
Very disappointing for Norbert who of course flew down for the event as well, disappointing for Legends who housed the event. Aggregate scores were pretty low, but being NIB they were probably lightening quick with new rubber as well.

I expected some sort of meet type environment but wasn't to be. Waste of effort preparing/trailering one of my machines down for it to get played.... once! And the bastard left it with 2 balls remaining of a 5 ball game! Yeah no worries, I'll finish the game off for you.

If we can take something from the day; at least an industry event occurred and it was a public event in which people had available to attend at their free will. Just a shame that hardly anybody did.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2012, 05:42:49 PM »
Unfortunately I was tied up with a family birthday party, but pinball was played by a bunch of 13 year old kids if that helps!

PS The flipper on the Cactus Jack's does need a new kit...

Sounds like there would be more people at a pinball auction than rocked up to this event? It must have been very poorly promoted.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2012, 09:54:58 AM »
It must have been very poorly promoted.

That was the problem. It was NOT promoted. The MMM radio station were apparently "sponsors" and "promoters" - but they failed to promote the event and no-one from MMM turned up ?

No promotion, no advertising and three weeks notice. Was never going to be a "big" event, unfortunately.

Offline oldboy

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2012, 01:00:41 AM »
It must be very disappointing for the organisers who put in so much work and money.

This I believe was an attempt to involve the "public" rather than just the "hobbyists" (us).
The method of qualifying was understandable by putting some money into the ops pockets who support AMD and Stern. We (I include me in all these comments except being a pro *.*) find it hard to pay for play when we have our own machines and attend meets etc. It is also a way of not "intimidating" Joe Public" with "pro players" being there when they play. I have seen this and people become very disillusioned when they see what they are up against.

Hopefully they will look back on this and fix what went wrong and continue it on an annual basis as it could pinball great exposure if promoted well.   
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 01:11:16 AM by oldboy »

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2012, 04:44:22 PM »
Lets hope AMD get a better turnout at the Queensland - Timezone Surfers event next month?
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.