Author Topic: Stern Thincoat - Dimples & Craters  (Read 32674 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Stern Thincoat - Dimples & Craters
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2015, 09:40:51 PM »
Dimpling on BNIB "never played on" playfields, to me is like the "orange peel effect" seen in the auto industry with factory paint jobs. It can usually only be seen on certain angles under certain light conditions.

I don't believe the clearcoat is too thin.
If the clearcoat wasn't adequately protecting the playfield, then I would Agee, but the clear is doing its job because no damage is occurring to Sterns that people have had for many years.
Just like the flying ball from the cannon shot on ACDC machines, the clearcoat is protecting the playfield cause I haven't seen any damage on my ACDC or anyone else's.

Given that dimpling is present on all manufacturered games incl Bally Williams, Data East and Stern and Sega and Gottlieb and Capcom etc etc, dimpling is only a aesthetic issue, not a representation of a flawed or non protecting clearcoat. I haven't seen any damage on any of my Sterns. So whilst the clear may appear thin to some compared to someone spending $1,000 and getting an already perfect playfield cleared over again and again multiple times, it seems a waste of $ to me because the Standard clearcoat is doing its job already. It seems overkill to get a BNIB game, pay $800 to $1,000 to buy a spare playfield, pay another $1,000 to have it recleared, then have the BNIB game pulled apart at great expense and then put it all back together because of factory incl dimpling.

If the dimpling is only an aesthetic issue when studying the game with your nose to the playfield, then buying new playfields etc etc seems to be a waste of time and $.

People who have had Stern games for many years aren't having issues with the playfield. The clear is fine.
If Dimpling occurs on most playfields from most eras, then why worry about an aesthetic issue which is microscope type stuff. Dimpling does not mean the clearcoat was never adequate.

For anyone who has a query about the Stern clearcoat process, why not drop John Borg a email at Stern USA.

I don't believe people will be unhappy with the KISS game. None of the last 5 years of Stern machines, or Segas from 17 years ago are showing any clearcoat failure so I don't feel a realistic clear issue exists.
I would be happy to send Borgy a email if any member wants me to.

The latest videos look great.
Pete asked if I took a video and some photos etc of the Kiss Pro at TimeZone and the answer is yes.
Will try to load some great photos n a video this next few days.
The game in person looks dam fine. The playfield has a mirror finish and the colours plus plastics look sensational.
Game plays great. Borgys designs always do.
Flow feels like morphing an ACDC Pro by SR with a X Men Pro by Borgy with a little bit of something else thrown in.

The Pro machine, as stock std will please anyone visually.
Add your own unique mods or metal work powdercoating or chrome work with a mix of the factory extras you can buy, and it's one good looking pinny.

I wish the Translite wasn't as close to the original 1978 artwork, but it still works very well.
The topper will look really good on top as well and will enhance the KISS on the translite.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 09:54:46 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !