Author Topic: Stern Thincoat - Dimples & Craters  (Read 32689 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Stern Thincoat - Dimples & Craters
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2015, 09:53:57 PM »
I like how Borgy is stoked with his own work. A very good sign - like a fat chef  :lol

I'm enjoying the Stern PR machine, and pictures like this are 100 times better than hearing Gary Stern talk about "business". Really liking this approach with the designers and employees. Very positive. Each day passes, and I am more and more excited to have my LE.

looks great, like the colour changing pops, looks to be a challenging game, bugger they have skylight / high wall window reflection over the game

interesting at around 5 minutes 11 seconds is a close up of the kiss targets on the left and you can see DIMPLES..... in the skylight reflection part of the playfield (click image to make it bigger) - still looks like a cool game

Those dimples do look bad.  At the same time, the clear coat does not look as thick as seen previously.  Given this video is taken at the factory, I wonder if this is a prototype machine, and Stern had noted the pitting which lead them to increase the clear coat thickness.

One would hope that is the case.

I'm hoping the game was a proto playfield. Greg's Stargate has a proto installed with a Bill Davis clearcoat. Not many games on it.

Regarding the "craters", I had a couple of LE owners look at Greg's TWD LE today - and this issue is also on an owners Star Trek LE - but not as bad. Upon closer inspection on TWD LE, there a massive crater on the right hand side inlane. There has never been a ball drop / fly ball or anything similar in this area. There is the inlane plastic and the sling plastic for protection. It makes no sense at all. Yet when unboxed, we all marveled at how the playfield looked like a sheet of glass.

Now I was conditioned to accept that this is the way the games are made. They are commercial machines. But I'm not convinced. Certainly, two prospective buyers were not at all impressed with the playfield issues. So if Stern think this IS the way it should be, they need to rethink their marketing strategy.

I have no issue in buying a second playfield and having it professionally clearcoated. It is clearly the only way a modern NIB Stern will stack up against almost all commercial repro playfields, or professional clearcoaters.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia