Author Topic: Stern Thincoat - Dimples & Craters  (Read 32674 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Stern Thincoat - Dimples & Craters
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2015, 11:11:47 PM »
So $1,000 for a spare playfield, plus massive $ postage from the USA, then an extra $1,000 to have it re cleared makes a minimum of $2,000 to $2,500....
Then add 50 to 100 hours of work to swap out playfields ?

Seems like massive overkill to me when Std playfield is already mirror finish ?

What happens if the aftermarket $2500,s worth of reclear job starts to go hazy or do something weird after a year or three ? You are back to square one and $2500 down plus all the labour $.

What worries me is the unproven longevity of placing automative clear products designed for metal on wood
playfields ? Aren't these guys using automative 2 pack ?
Unless the people doing the clearcoats are using a wood only type clear suited specifically for wood only ?

Has anyone in Australia had a recleared playfield field tested for 2 or 3 years and seen the longevity from automative 2 pack ? Do the ball swirl marks polish out easily with Novus or normal Pinny wax etc.

At $2500 Apx for the exercise, that is a lot of $ for a little extra shine ?
Each to their own.

Some of that is correct. For those that are used to the standard of clear, they need to take that extra step which stern SHOULD do in the factory. So really, it is an indictment of the quality of the build. Having said that, the context of my observations are that of someone who is used to providing a level of workmanship that is beyond the commercial constraints of running a business. But having said that, I'm running a business, and if I was to provide a client with a playfield that looked like the surface of the moon after 100 games, then I deserve to be criticized. The more people that complain, the more Stern will attend to this issue.

Based on three collectors viewing the TWD LE TODAY, all agreed that it is simply not acceptable for a NIB pinball machine to have a clear that badly affected. One collector has a lesser degree of the problem on a Star Trek LE. Another is a customer that was simply "put off" buy the issue. The third was surprised at the problem for such a low play game. To suggest that this SHOULD be acceptable, is simply just not right. One customer would be inclined to buy a Stern NIB - but after seeing the TWD LE - that won't happen. That frustrates me. I'm no fanboi, but I want stern to succeed, but i also want them to take their head out of the sand and listen to people who are genuinely trying to help.

I will post pictures on a separate thread on the proviso I'm not accused of being a Stern basher !

I used to think Greg's habit of buying a second playfield was simply "Greg being Greg" - he did this A LOT. But he brushed off the issue as being "normal for Stern clearcoats". It was "my problem.." I'm now a buyer. A NEW Stern customer - and I'm THRILLED to have and LE. But I'm frustrated that it is very possible that MY LE will look like TWD LE after 100 games ? Is this for real ?? That's BS for a $11,000 pinball machine.

To address your points Brett ;

The shipping would be similar to the topper - but a playfield would be thrown in to a container and cost nothing if I ask nicely  &&
Not sure who clearcoats in your neck of the woods, but a clearcoat does not cost $1000 - $1500. Nowhere near it.
Playfield would cost $1000 landed if I had it shipped direct from Stern USA.
Hours to replace playfield ? don't care - it is my game !

Agreed - Mirror finish for the first handful of games - then it deteriorates.

The aftermarket clear would cost me 1/4 of your price.

I've cleared my own playfield (Ace's High) with a varnish 5 years ago, and it has had hundreds of games and looks perfect to this day.
I've had a Fathom cleared by an astute friend of mine 4-5 years ago and it is perfect to this day.
I've had 5 Bally / Williams playfields cleared over the last 5 years and all are perfect. No dimpling, divots, planking or reaction with the clear.

this should put anyone's mind to ease. The automotive clearcoats done by semi professionals and perfectionists like Hot Rodded Pins are better than any current commercial or boutique manufacturer. Greg's NEW Spiderman and Iron Man are currently at HRP undergoing a clearcoat process.

I have no problem buying a second playfield due to the clearcoat issue. I've just "accepted" it as being a commercial grade clearcoat. It is not a purist clearcoat = not a High End collector clearcoat.

thread has been slightly deviated - we might look at splitting it - sorry to those of you that have no interest in this discussion.

Again - I have a horse in this race, and I've been vocal to look after my own investment and also to provide constructive criticism. Some of which I have passed on to the Distributor that I ordered my game from.

My Stern KISS LE will be a centrepiece in my collection.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia