Author Topic: What's a fair price to spray a cabinet?  (Read 2206 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: What's a fair price to spray a cabinet?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2014, 10:17:32 PM »
I read this thread with interest having seen many pinball cabinets on the Gold Coast and Brisbane sprayed fully in 2 pac before people apply full cabinet decals.

One person got it done, then it sort of caught on, then quite a few people up here got it done to their high end restorations. The cost was $500 total, but the cabinets and headbox were delivered to the painter, fully sanded inside and out back to barewood, with the sanding finish being as smooth as a babys bum. Then the cabinets were 2 pac painted in gloss black 100 percent coverage (meaning every inch of wood, inside n out n underneath and behind was finished to a mirror gloss black finish.)

Then decals were applied ofcourse to all areas, leaving the front edges of the headbox, gloss black, inside of machine gloss black, rear of headbox gloss black etc etc. The cabinets are all done at a automative booth etc. These cabinets were 2 paced because the machines were going to be longterm keepers.

The end result is lush, but every spot of dust shows up on the inside of the cabinet very easily.
Personally, it is a bit of overkill but the price was excellent. The only thing, is that a wood colour paint on the inside of the cabinet does look better.
I say wood type colour, cause a lot of the time, when people applied wood clear to the inside of the cabinet, it went about 3 to 6 shades darker which looked awful. One guy did find a wood colour that was so close to pine wood, u thought it was actually bare wood, untouched/unsealed.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has painted the insides of their restored cabinets a different colour to wood or black.....maybe a gloss white or the same colour as the majority of the outside cabinet.

example - pink inside the cabinet all over like the outsides on a 1978 Williams phoenix instead of wood colour ?  or white on that machine....?? Anyone else had any similar prices or different colours painted on the insides ??  !@# !@#
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !