Author Topic: Howdy  (Read 1046 times)

Offline k00k

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Howdy
« on: October 09, 2009, 12:10:23 PM »
First time poster here after just finding out about this forum yesterday. I had no idea there would be such a keen thriving community for all things pinball, its great to see!

After broaching the subject with my woman earlier this week, tricky as we're pushed for space here already, I have begun my hunt for a Getaway II pinball. We used to play this at a local night club The Freezer, back in '93. Me and a few mates of mine loved it, and we've always mentioned getting one eventually, but it was all just talk. Now, I'm going to do something about it...

So, if anyone happens to see one thats worth buying, please let me know. It would have to be one that doesn't need any work done on it, restored or repaired I presume, as I'm not that electrically/mechanically minded. Willing to learn, but not on my first pinnie. From what I've read, up to $3K should get a very good one? Just wondering, is Getaway II considered a good pinball, playwise? Also wondering what are considered some of the best pinball machines to play, as in what pinballs flow the best, if that makes sense? Any info greatly appreciated.

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Re: Howdy
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 12:16:32 PM »
 %)% mate, my Getaway is not going anywhere it is a great game, cool music (ZZ Top), heaps of fun, fast flowing PF with the best toy ever, whats not to like about a supercharger hovering above the PF spinning balls around at twice thier normal speed!
It for me is a game I play when I want a quick fix, as it doesn't have a deep ruleset to get bogged down in.
So buy it, then maybe something a bit more complex, like Whitewater, with deeper rules but still lots of fun
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 12:19:09 PM by ktm450 »

Offline k00k

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 12:26:34 PM »
Yeah, I loved it back then, and still love it now. Had a chance to play on one last night, but I think the asking price is a bit steep. Just wondering, what sort of money should I be expecting to pay for one in top notch condition, excluding shipping?

Offline felixthadog

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 12:41:26 PM »
 %)%

Matthew

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 01:44:56 PM »
Welcome again Mal!

Not sure on HS11 pricing, but I'm sure there will be some opinions posted in the next couple of days.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline indazone gav

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 01:49:06 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Good choice of pin. Lots of info on pricing and ratings can be found here;
http://www.pinpedia.com/machine/348/prices
Cheers Gav

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 01:59:10 PM »
Welcome to the forum kOOk  <..>

Getaway HSII - I believe $2K for a starter and up to 3K tops for a ball-tearer example.

You will find most cabinets are faded -  most playfields always seem to be in decent nick but in my experience it is a playfield that tends to 'look' or get dirty quickly ( not a big deal just had to mention it ).

So even if you buy a cheap dirty starter, remember .....everything is fixable and theres plenty of help here when you need it.

It would be a good 1st game to own.
Where are you located !@#

DW Drums rule !

Offline k00k

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 02:14:01 PM »
I'm in Perth. I looked at a ball tearer example last night here in Perth, virtually mint condition right throughout, but the guy said he wants 4200 - 4500 for it :( Have to admit though, I could hardly fault it, had a few small chips of paint of the cabinet which were going to be repaired, and that was it, spotless otherwise, and apparently it hadn't even been prepared fully. I've just had a look at another one via pictures emailed to me, but condition was pretty ordinary, and he wanted 3200 for it.

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 02:30:25 PM »
Have I lost touch guys or are these Perth prices both WAY too high for both those HSII  based on kOOk's descriptions @@^
DW Drums rule !

Offline k00k

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 03:05:12 PM »
The one that was priced at 3200 is in Melbourne...

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 04:42:29 PM »
Pins in WA sell for 30% more. Getaway will cost 2-3k here, not surprise 4k for WA.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 04:54:34 PM »
the dude who wants 4200 for a getaway needs to give himself an uppercut.if he had the box it came in, without any blemish's, then maybe.
but he would have to throw in his 18 yr old daughter for that price.lol.  *)*

i saw 3 at a sellers recently when a container had come in and he was talking 2000 to 2500 fully shopped.
i do admit, some prices in QLD seem to be lower sometimes than melbourne or other parts.perhaps, over-supply up here.

sounds like this machine is loved by everybody. anything with a super charger has my vote.  ^^^ ^^^  *%* *%*  ^^^ ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 05:00:20 PM »
I'm in Perth. I looked at a ball tearer example last night here in Perth, virtually mint condition right throughout, but the guy said he wants 4200 - 4500 for it :( Have to admit though, I could hardly fault it, had a few small chips of paint of the cabinet which were going to be repaired, and that was it, spotless otherwise, and apparently it hadn't even been prepared fully. I've just had a look at another one via pictures emailed to me, but condition was pretty ordinary, and he wanted 3200 for it.

Yeah, sounds like he is dreaming!
I would say 2.5-3k would get you a nice pin, with the obvious faded decals they all have em, be careful about wear around the inserts because there is so many of them in the middle of the PF

Offline k00k

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 05:17:05 PM »
I was probably willing to pay 3500 for it, as it really is mint, but 4000+ is kinda pushing the relationship with my sensibilities and the minister of finance... :)

I looked carefully over this one, no wear on the playfield anywhere, no chips, decals all intact, apart from where the ball gets shot from initially. Looks like it just needed a clean.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 06:06:52 PM »
Welcome
Make sure that you have a large space fo where you want to put your Getaway II

Nobody stops at just one pinball machine  !*!