Author Topic: My son just got his "L" plates  (Read 4083 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: My son just got his "L" plates
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2013, 08:54:33 PM »
The best money you would ever spend would be on an advanced driver training course IMO.

It teaches the right 'attitude' rather than the "I know all" that many younger drivers (including me many moons ago) seem to have.

It was the best thing I ever did for my son - it took the edge off his 'youthfulness' as far as driving goes and probably saved his life!

The opening address by the advanced instructor was:

"What is probably the ONLY thing you are likely to do every day that can KILL YOU? - go driving!"

This has stayed with me for many years now.......

+1

Best advise to follow. I think that attending an "ADVANCED Driver's course" gives bragging rights to the kids that they have done a worthwhile "professional" course. It gives the kids a sense of responsibility, because they have been taught by professionals in a professional environment. That's not taking anything away from the parent's driving instructions, but in some cases the instructors are ex racing drivers or "car industry" people. I think once the kids do the course they learn the good habits and pass it on to their peers - "I did and ADVANCED driving course, so I'm a bit cooler than the other guys as their mum, dad or older brother taught them.."

I think it should be mandatory in each state.

I remember getting my motorbike license. You had to spend a day on theory and watching videos of accidents and bike rider's injuries. I think it shocked us into learning the right habits from "day 1".
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia