Author Topic: Why do you like ‘Mata Hari’ ?  (Read 170 times)

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Why do you like ‘Mata Hari’ ?
« on: February 05, 2012, 08:50:40 AM »
I remember seeing Mata Hari’s around when I was younger, not as common as other Bally’s, but I did see them around from time to time.
But as a kid, I had no idea who Mata Hari was, to a 12yo, the backglass looks more like a magician and his assistant.

The game looked weird then, and I still find it weird now

But it seems that there is a lot of love out there for this game, and I am hoping you can turn me around

Offline Cow Corner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Re: Why do you like ‘Mata Hari’ ?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 09:29:14 AM »
I like it because it was the only pinball at our local fish n chips shop for ages and ages, it did change for a bally lost world eventually...or was it the other way around...I can't remember. Put ya 20c on the glass to reserve your game and wait for your $1 of chips to be cooked. ^^^
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 09:42:04 AM »
I like it because it was the only pinball at our local fish n chips shop for ages and ages, it did change for a bally lost world eventually...or was it the other way around...I can't remember. Put ya 20c on the glass to reserve your game and wait for your $1 of chips to be cooked. ^^^

Strangly, I never remeber seeing a 'Lost world' in the wild
Playboy, Star Trek, Evil Knevel, Power Play, Eight Ball, Kiss, Paragon, black Jack, Strikes and Spares, supersonic, HGTOT, future spa. played em all

Offline Cow Corner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 09:46:55 AM »

Strangly, I never remeber seeing a 'Lost world' in the wild
Playboy, Star Trek, Evil Knevel, Power Play, Eight Ball, Kiss, Paragon, black Jack, Strikes and Spares, supersonic, HGTOT, future spa. played em all

All of those plus more were at the pinball parlours in town or at skateway, ive plyed them heaps too....we only had the one pin at the local shops...the other shop had space invaders when it came out.
The 2 shops must have had a deal because one had a pin and one had a space invaders and they never strayed from this.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 12:33:24 PM »

A very attractive game. Ballly had a run of machines from 1978-1979 that were all great titles, and operators had confidence in the games Bally were releasing. The theme of the game (Mata Hari was a call girl that was executed for being a spy during WW II), was irrelevant. It looked and played very well. The playfield is symmetrical and lends some of it's design from GTB "Spirit of 76". This game is often remembered for the artwork, and there were plenty onsite during it's time.

All Ballys from 1978-79 were hugely successful.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 09:29:52 AM »
A few reasons

# The artwork
#The drop targets and the ‘flowing loop’ shot
#But most of all it reminds me of some of my first ‘real’ experiences with pinball’s as it was alongside Playboy and Wild Fyre in a little room behind a milk bar that we would visit every day on our way to High School – the game holds some cool memories for me.
DW Drums rule !