Aussie Pinball Forums > Restorations

Guns N Roses Partial Restoration

(1/3) > >>

Strangeways:
This is another restoration that started around 2015.

The story behind this game is that the owner ( not naming to respect his privacy - but he is more than welcome to chime in ) started the Restoration pre 2015 by completing a VERY good cabinet decal replacement, and he wanted me to complete the restoration by having the playfield restored (by Tim) and I would finish the game off. The game was almost completely stripped, with the exception of the Cabinet. The playfield was stripped completely, and the components screwed to a long piece of plywood. The individual components from the top of the playfield were bagged and documented in a VERY organized manner !

Other components were powdercoated and numerous new parts were provided. It was presented as one large Lego set ! The playfield was organized to be touched up and cleared. Then my issue surfaced - I have completed on High End Guns N Roses previously, but when I lost my HDD, I lost all the photos. The ONLY reference I had was scarce info on a couple websites, but that was never going to give me the detailed information I required. BUT - I had Greg's Restored Guns N Roses upstairs I could use as a reference = problem solved. Except as with all Greg's machines, they are stored upstairs, behind boxes and around 30-40 other machines. Downstairs was full. Upstairs was full. I had no way of moving Greg's game downstairs until I had the racking installed. Once that was done - it took a while to move everything around and FINALLY I had the game downstairs and ready to sit side-by-side.

I had already stripped the entire playfield components and cleaned / polished most of the parts, identifying what will need to be replaced etc.

Here is the lower cabinet as completed by the owner - and a damn fine job !

Here are the playfield components as presented to me. These were in vacuum bags.  ^^^

Playfield was stripped and transferred to a piece of plywood.  ()

Playfield components were sorted into tubs to be cleaned in the Ultrasonic Cleaner.

I didn't know Axl liked motorbikes..  &&

Some idiot melted the shooter rod.  ^.^

$#$

Strangeways:
The Playfield was delivered by the owner to Tim and once completed, it was sent to me.

Strangeways:
My cleaning methods depend on what I'm cleaning, but a general rule of thumb follows this process ;

1 - Separate parts into bins - metal, plastic, PCBs, wire looms and parts that cannot be put in the cleaner.
2 - Run them through the Ultrasonic Cleaner
3 - Run Metal parts through the Tumbler (course)
4 - Run Metal parts through the Tumbler (fine)
5 - Clean Plastic parts with Novus etc
6 - Place cleaned parts in parts bins for that machine
7 - Identify parts that need replacement or repair

Here is the playfield wiring loom placed in the Ultrasonic Cleaner's tray.

Cleaned section often 30 mins in the Ultrasonic ;

Cleaned Connectors ;

Filthy Mechanisms are also stripped and cleaned. Coil sleeves replaced. Springs replaced. Incorrect / broken parts replaced ;

More updates soon  $#$

ddstoys:
Well that’s the most organised previously stripped machine I’ve ever seen.   I usually get them in a garbage bag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strangeways:

--- Quote from: ddstoys on August 30, 2019, 08:00:53 PM ---Well that’s the most organised previously stripped machine I’ve ever seen.   I usually get them in a garbage bag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--- End quote ---

These are the hardest to put back together. You pray that ALL the parts are there to rebuild ! But it is also a GOOD challenge. One big LEGO set !

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version