Author Topic: Abra cadabra restore  (Read 2774 times)

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Re: Abra cadabra restore
« on: May 22, 2009, 05:18:17 PM »
The cabinet was a bit knocked around as expected, but the playfield, although dirty was in great condition.. and the backglass too was in near perfect condition.. not a even the slightest scratch!! I later realised that the backglass had been sealed at some stage, hence its excellent current state. To this day I’ve not touched any of its artwork!!

As stated, I repainted this game about three times. First time was nothing more that masking off and repainting the cabinet only.. (not the backbox) soon after I bought the game. I didn’t even recreate the webbing on the cab!! (remember I was a complete beginner at that time). Second time round, about six or seven years ago now, I totally dismantled the whole game and restored it totally, making stencils and repainted the game again. Another year or so later I STILL wasn’t happy with the job I’d done painting the cab so once again I stripped everything from the cabinet and this time complelely stripped all of the old paint
back to bare wood, (yes I kept the stencils from the last time). This time I replaced the bottom panel before doing any painting, something I neglected to do the previous time.

These pics are of the latest restore. The previous time I’d used auto acrylic spraypaint but this time I used Dulux spray enamel. The white I used was an “off white” colour which, I thought, looked really good on this game and gave it an “aged” look. THIS time I added the webbing pattern, using the toothbrush trick, dipped into unthinned black enamel paint, from about a foot away, and scraping the bristles with an icy pole stick to give a similar affect.. well close enough I think! to the original effect. I ALWAYS test this first onto cardboard etc!!