Author Topic: Abra cadabra restore  (Read 2775 times)

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Re: Abra cadabra restore
« on: May 22, 2009, 05:39:36 PM »
As previously mentioned, the playfield was in excellent condition (sorry, no before pics) requiring little more than a bit of cleaning. It had had the usual ‘woodgrain’ contact put on in places, ie plunger lane/top arch, and around the bumpers, which I removed. There was some minor damage to the Mylar near the return lanes on the light inserts, but I wasn’t confident enough at that time to try to remove and replace it so it was left alone.
Since the mylar IS a little bit worse for wear, this is on my “to do” list, to be done soon, I already have the new mylar, just need to find the time.

Anyway first thing I did was to repair every lamp socket.. remove, clean out the inside and solder its base to ensure reliable operation (1st pic is this being done).
2nd pic, starting to reassemble the playfield after cleaning with Re-po paint doctor. .. again sorry for the poor quality pic (had the cheap camera when I did this).

New rubbers, globes and 3” flipper bats were fitted. Notice the two small plastics just above the flippers.. these are always broken on every one of these games I’ve ever seen.. this one was no different! So I remade some new ones from scans of the broken originals.. first tidying up the images in Arcsoft Photostudio and reverse printing them onto clear adhesive, and sticking them onto polycarbonate plastic, followed by white backing, ie white acrylic paint in this case.. same as I did on my Dracula PF resto, except I used white adhesive label on those plastics to diffuse the light rather than paint.

An instruction card apron decal was purchased from Lee at “Pinball Rescue” in Queensland when they were in business before. The quality of work these guys did with their range of decals was amazing, and reasonably priced (I bought decal kits for a few of my games from them). I’m really glad to hear they will be starting up again soon!!! Now I just need to scan and reproduce the instruction and replay score cards!!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 05:46:06 PM by Mr Pinbologist »