Author Topic: Vinito got a new pin hauler !! (and other Vinito news)  (Read 510 times)

Offline vinito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
Vinito got a new pin hauler !! (and other Vinito news)
« on: December 31, 2013, 05:45:36 PM »
Hey. Where ya been? $.$

I'm still out of the pinnie loop. I still have the two EM pin projects here at the house, my first pin ever still out on loan and needing TLC, and my recently deceased brother's pin - my fault (not that he's deceased, but that he got a pin).
So really not much pin action for me for quite a while now, thus the lack of my participation here. But there have been some positive developments for me lately and I might get back into it in a small way at least.

So the biggest development is that a little over three years ago I finally got a decent job for the first time in my life. Not enough income that a NIB is an easy decision. Actually it's still a pretty easy decision because the answer is still "no", but it's not as out-of-the-question as it used to be, so that's good.

The next interesting development is that with the improved financial means, I was able to buy the place across the street from my house. It came up for tax sale in my area due to the previous owner abandoning it several years ago, so it was an easy price. It's actually an interesting little house. It would more accurately be called a cabin as it is a little bitty stone thing. Very cool really. Other than it not having had any updates since the early '70s, i.e. thick brown shag carpet and other decor from that era (think Austin Powers), it's actually in decent shape. So the pin connection is that I'm considering either making it a guest house since mine is too small for company, or more likely I'll make it a Man Cave and use it for hanging out and getting drunk and impressing chicks (likely not in that order).

And the final bit of good news is that I bought an old clunker. My auto shot craps a few weeks ago so I've been driving the truck and keeping my ear to the ground (not at the same time). Today I found a keeper. It's a 2004 Mazda Tribute, and I understand they fit a single fin nicely. So I have a weather-proof pin hauler now, which should double as decent transportation (or vice-versa).

This is the actual car. Ten years old and average mileage for its age, but extremely good condition. I think I'll like it.

and now for the coop degrass...
I am remodeling my kitchen which includes the basement stairway.
The stairway is open to the ceiling and just a knee wall and bar to border it. I was trying to think of what to do with that tall expanse of empty wall, and decided on this:
(it's obviously only framed in and drywalled, but you get the idea)

See the cutout in the wall (low center of the picture)? It's going to have a shelf installed across the stairway and it will be for a pinball machine !! Just remove the back legs (I'll rig up a leveling mechanism) and slide it in. A pin will stick out the front about 6 inches so the flipper buttons will be comfortable to reach and operate. And it will sit right next to the bar just behind it (right side of the pin) and spectators can sit and watch. Since pins are covered in art all over, I think this is a perfect solution for that empty space, plus it allows for a pin while taking up about 1 square foot of floor space !! The bottom of the shelf is high enough so that there is forehead clearance when walking the stairs, even for me at 6'1".
There is a switched outlet at the back wall installed just for the pin, and the switch is installed on the bar wall (not visible in the pick since it's on the back side of that short wall) so it is easy to switch on.

So is that typical Vinito goofy-ness or what?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 05:51:14 PM by vinito »
I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Vinito got a new pin hauler !! (and other Vinito news)
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 09:29:47 PM »
That would be a cool man cave, but it needs a bit of work. The outside of the building looks like a poster for a Horror Movie. I love it !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: Vinito got a new pin hauler !! (and other Vinito news)
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 11:20:34 PM »
Glad to hear things are looking up Vinito!  Love the semi installed pin at the bar idea!!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Great to hear from you Vince looks like you have a few projects to keep you busy for awhile

Offline vinito

• Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
Hey, sounds like some of you still remember me !!
Thanks guys. Yea things were really taking a downward spiral a few years ago and I thought there was no end in sight. The politics over here are still certainly against the working man so we'll see over time whether the mongers outpace the makers too fast for it to last, but I'm hopeful these days at least and that's a big change for me. I never had kids and I'm glad for that or I would still be worried.
I just have to ride things out another 20 years or so and I shouldn't have to care after that.
&^&

That would be a cool man cave, but it needs a bit of work...

Great to hear from you Vince looks like you have a few projects to keep you busy for awhile...

When I found out the cabin was coming up for sale, I really wanted to acquire it just to have control over who lived there. It's right across the street and its condition caused me to worry about the type of problem who would be interested in it. From what I've seen over the years, there would be a 95% chance of it becoming a big neighborhood problem. At the same time, my other main thought was that I needed another house project like I need a hole through the head, but the pros outweighed the cons so I bit the bullet.
The pros are that since my house is small and no room for guests, I would be able to provide a really cool place for out-of-town company to stay, like family or Aussie pinhead voyagers or the like.
The other thing is that in 15 years or so, I can maybe rent it out for some additional retirement income. It would be nice to have it that close so I can keep tabs on the tenants if need be, and if it needs attention of course it wouldn't require much of a commute.
I've heard from several neighbors and I'm happy to find that they are unanimously pleased that I got it. They appear to expect (correctly) that the place will finally be fixed up and taken care of rather than falling apart (further) and dragging down their property values.
It sits on a fairly large lot too, and between the two I now have a little over an acre. If you're not in a hurry, a leisurely stroll across the two lots takes a good couple minutes now. This makes for some nice space between neighbors and a good feeling of privacy, and of course a lot of exercise from mowing and tree trimming - another thing I needed as much as a hole in the head. Oh well. It will be fun fixing it up.

So now I just need to...
install some kitchen cabinets
trim the whole damned house interior
get some flooring installed
build the deck out back
and that is before I start working on the cabin...
this list could be a couple pages long.

It's entirely possible I have lost my mind or something.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 11:09:59 AM by vinito »

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Great to hear things are on the up and up for you Vince .  ^^^

Sounds like you have a ton of work ahead, but fun too , no doubt .

I think your wall cutout idea to slot a pin across the top of the stairway is brilliant  ()

Cheers
Dave

I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
That's a lot of work that should keep you busy for a while. I'd fill it with pinballs in no time !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Nice one mate well nice few thing really love the seperate mancave great idea

Offline Pinballer

• Forum Posts:
Good to hear from Vince.  Glad things have taken a turn upwards for you.  Good luck with all the work you have in front of you.

Did you ever complete the punches you were making (some years back) to knock out the circular rings for masking off inerts on the EM pins?

Offline vinito

• Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
That's a negative for Pinballer. Sadly that project never worked out. I feel bad that it never came to fruition because it really wouldn't have been that difficult a project to manage and I think it would have worked well for what it did. Times were getting very tough back then, plus back then and even today, things seem to come up every other day to interrupt, which I'm sure everyone here who isn't sitting around for days puffing on a water bong can relate to.

I could create some dimensioned drawings if one of you more ambitious pinheads would like to give it a go. I tried to design it to be simple - it changed a lot from the pictures Clay showed and what it was actually going to be. Basically it needed a design which encouraged just pushing while spinning the thing instead of bashing it with a mallet like Clay did, despite several advisings against it. He can be incredibly helpful and also a thick brickhead at times. Oh well.

Anyway, the end design where I left off was one knurled handle, a set of stubby cutters of the needed sizes to fit the handle, and throw in a self-healing cutting mat and maybe some good masking tape (the green stuff). I was going to make it from some 4140 or something that could be heat-treated/hardened. The production would require some jigs: 1 - to hold the stubby cutters in a lathe to be sharpened & honed. 2- to hold the stubby cutters for either slotting or drilling a couple holes in them. And that's about it. It's 90% lathe stuff.

We had some uncharacteristically beautiful weather in Kansas City the past couple days, so I tore into the overgrown yard at the cabin. It was much worse than it looked. there were multitudes of underbrush just about everywhere and a layer about 8" thick (200mm) of matted up leaves.I munched up the leaves and said "damn the torpedoes" at the rocks and debris likely to be scattered over several parts of the yard. My blade needs a good sharpening, but the mower munched leaves, grass and twigs up pretty darned good. It's a ton better than it was, and now I have a decent little firewood pile to burn in the fireplace and outdoor fire pit thing. And the main thing is now I know where the rocks and other obstacles are so the yard will be easier to keep maintained. By early to mid Summer here (June-July) it should be a beautiful thing.

Found out some other very interesting things about the cabin too regarding its history. The guy who built it was an artist with a sign company somewhere in town. There is some dark history in the mix as well, but I'm going to gather as much of it as I can to add to the intrigue of the house. I had a couple friends over today and we checked it out, and just the little surface things I was able to dig up to show them almost brought the girl to tears - she was just so overwhelmed with the charm and character of the place. Her reaction surprised me. They told me it was like touring a museum and enjoyed themselves a lot.
So anyway, my plan is to make it my man cave, but it will also have historical things displayed here and there.

Today after everybody left and I was putting tools away, I even found a painting by the artist hidden in a stack of junky fake decor frames and such. Pretty cool to find an original painting by the guy who built the cabin. It's amazing to me stuff like that just hasn't been lost to the ether over the past 80 years.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 03:20:48 PM by vinito »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Good to read your posts.
Yes, I like the house project across the road as well.

When I first saw it, it looked like the wicked witches house from that latest Hansel n Grettel witch killing movie.
But it has character n I love the look of it.

You will make it excellent I am sure.

Glad to see you are doing well.

The car/4 wheel drive you bought comes in Australia badged as a Ford or a Mazda. Good ride for not much money. U did well.

Will keep watching for more great posts. Well done.  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline vinito

• Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
...When I first saw it, it looked like the wicked witches house from that latest Hansel n Grettel witch killing movie.

Yes, it is as spooky as it looks in the pictures too. But in a few months it will look totally different. A little rotten wood replacement and tweaking things back to plumb and wondrous what a coat of paint can do.
The back where the little outdoor fireplace thing is looks pretty wide open after today. You can kind of see in the pictures that there are (were) little trees and scrub growing all over the place. What you can't see in the picture is the leaves back there were packed extremely deep.

I'll snap a couple progress pictures to post next weekend.
Need to snap a more current picture of the kitchen/pinball bar area too. It's quite different now, though no pinball shelf yet.

Offline vinito

• Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
Re: Vinito got a new pin hauler !! (progress report)
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 04:13:34 PM »
Well it's been over a year and just yesterday I finally made some progress on my pinnie nook over the stairway.
I don't have a snapshot of it yet but I'll nab one as soon as I de-clutter the area a bit. Sometimes I'm a real slob. Plus it's winter here and the cold makes me pretty slothy.
So the drywall was done and painted long ago but I just built the shelf to hold the pin and set it in place yesterday. I even slipped a pin on it and it looks like it will work just great.

Lessee... The "new" automobile is working out great too. I really like that little Mazda.

As for the cabin across the street, I spent a ton of time on it this past summer but it's pretty much all been yard work. I had to cut down several trees which is tough for me since I really like the woodsy thing it's got going for it. But there are so many trees on that property that you hardly miss the ones that aren't there anymore, especially since they were getting pretty rotten and danger was inevitable - thus the removing of them. The addition of that yard makes for a little over an acre I've got to maintain now, so I ended up getting a nice mower which cut the time down to about 1/3 of what it used to take just to do the original yard. Gotta love that. I'll be wrapping up the yard this spring and moving to interior work. This summer I just want to make it habitable with a functional bathroom & kitchen and a few other bits. Anyway, once I get the yard work to a good point and spend a day straightening up the garage, I'll snap a photo of that to show y'all how it's going.

So in summary, pics coming of the pinball bar soon, pics coming of the man-cave cabin eventually, and no further pics of the car coming because.... it's a car.... which never gets better over time. But it hauls me around like a champ anyway.