Author Topic: Can You Smack A Pinball Around?  (Read 442 times)

Offline wingtipvortex

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Can You Smack A Pinball Around?
« on: December 12, 2008, 11:06:28 PM »
Not as harsh as the thread suggests, but i tend to be more of a rough player.  Not as to tilt very often, but occasionaly.
The question is,  how much can these take without damage to internals and so forth?   I just seem to get into it more and have more "productive" games, while playing pinball a tad on the shovvy side.

Offline Ballywannabe

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
Re: Can You Smack A Pinball Around?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 11:12:37 PM »
More than you are likely to give it!  I remember seeing what these machines took when they were on location and they are built TOUGH.  I am pretty hard on my machines (early 80's games) and have not managed to do any significant damage to them yet.

cheers
Ian

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 11:17:40 PM »
I'd suggest that all the games we all have in our collections have seen just about everything dished out to them. They would have been "belted" during their route days, and they are definitely in the "upper paddock" now ..

As a symbol of "respect" for all my games and the restos I do, I take out the ball from the tilt mechanism.. Not needed anymore. If anyone feels they have to "lift" their game off the floor to stop a drain ball etc.. They don't deserve to own a machine.

However, there is nothing wrong with giving the machine a good shove every now and again.. Just to let it know "who owns who"..

You can't damage anything internal. You would probably do more damage to your wrist or fist..
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline wingtipvortex

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 11:26:05 PM »
Ohh, i feel better now.  I thought i may have been rough, but from what you guys say, im doin ok with it ^^^
I see it as "normal" pinball tequnique ::)     

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 05:37:19 PM »
If anyone feels they have to "lift" their game off the floor to stop a drain ball etc.. They don't deserve to own a machine.

However, there is nothing wrong with giving the machine a good shove every now and again.. Just to let it know "who owns who"..

You can't damage anything internal. You would probably do more damage to your wrist or fist..

Anyone who knows me, and therefore knows how much time and effort i've put into every machine i own knows better than to be "too agressive" with my machines! A little bit of shoving/nudging is fine, but anyone who starts shaking/kicking my machines around too hard so as they are being knocked against the game beside it(they are packed in fairly tight in my garage), will be warned, then smacked in the side of the head if they dont listen..lol
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 05:40:36 PM by mitch »

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 06:18:46 PM »
I only shove my machines a little, but find it much harder to nudge anyone else's machine (except sited pins  *)*)

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 06:40:54 PM »
I try not to be to rough-like all my bits and pieces I look after them.. But when I see a pinball on site I'm a little more rough <.>

Peter

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 09:32:36 PM »
I had someone come round and play my 1937 flipperless Stoner Ricochet. I explained to them that THEY are the flippers and that you have to nudge and shove the machine a bit to get the ball to bounce a bit more. The guy was practically lifting the machine off the floor and smacking it. Ive never seen anyone lay into a machine in this way before!!!

I had to stop him and calm him down before i shoved him around like that. ^.^

"sorry mate" he said "but you did say to give it a push and shove"

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 11:02:07 AM »

I wonder if the older machines were designed to take more punishment as they are flipperless ?

I remember the Bally Bingos used to be pushed around - the object of the game was to "bump" the balls into the right holes.. But they had wooden legs and were very heavy and strong machines.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia