Author Topic: Which manufacturer has built the best machine for servicing?  (Read 454 times)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Which manufacturer has built the best machine for servicing?
« on: December 14, 2008, 09:08:56 PM »
I guess this is a bit like cars.  Sometimes they are engineered with the mechanics in mind, sometimes not.

Now in my limited experience, I've only ever pulled apart 2 x D.E machines and 1.5 x Williams machines.  From this bunch, I actually found the D.E's easier to work on, playfield plastics easier to get to (ie not having to remove 3 to get one out to swap the globe) etc..

I would be interested in the more experienced guys opinions on this?

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

EMs - Gottlieb by a long way
Solid State - Bally
DMD - Bally/Williams - Special mention to Data East
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:

Solid State - Bally

Almost... Id MUCH rather work on a Williams SS than a Bally...,.LOL

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne

Solid State - Bally

I had picked up a Gottlieb King Pin about 4yrs ago but on sold it.  Kicking myself now.  I never actually got to work on it.

I have just found working on the Williams a few akward things to get into and around.  I mean the D.E's are by no means perfect.  For example, trying to put the screws (backbox) back in for the power supply.  The front hinged lamp board is completely in the way?

But on the LAH, I like the little rubber strap to hold the PF up whilst you are working on it.  I certainly dont leave my Williams up if I am more than 5mm away from it for fear of it crashing down.  

I found the D.E ramps to be more sturdy and playfield plastics much easier to remove and get in to globes.  Posts and rubbers, no different.

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
1950 - 78 EM's - Gottlieb

The rest who cares  :lol

Marty Machine

I discovered yesterday that GTB bumpers come off nicely with REMOVABLE screws too....unlike williams (as far as i know) that use those pointy permanent mount screws....yuk!

A big plus to GTB. !

MM.

Offline Pinballace

• Forum Posts:
I really liked to work on Capcoms.  They really were ahead of all the others with the onboard diagnostics and their manuals were soooo much better on the tech stuff.  Not only did they put the schematics in the manuals they did a circuit analysis as well.  For the EM's, it was Gottliebs.  For the early SS's (1970's-80s') it was Bally (before the Midway disaster).
The ramp business was very very good to me.

Offline Chuck

• Forum Posts:
  • Usa
    • Big Guys Pinball
Some may say I'm biased ;-)  Pinball 2000 is the easiest to service machine ever IMHO.  The driver board is very clean and durable.  The removable playfield rocks.  The only tricky part is the original computer which isn't really user serviceable (it would lose points on the computer.)  Although the computer is easy to replace is you had a spare. 

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Agree on the P2K playfield bit with Chuck. Recently shopped a SWE1 for a mate, and taking the playfield out sure made things a lot easier.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
For me:

EMs = Gottlieb by far
78 to 85 = Gottlieb by far
85 to closure !!! Gottlieb by far

Also dont mind Zaccaria electronic pins there easy to fix also, comfortable with the Bally/Stern late 70s early 80s also
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock