Author Topic: Call that a restore????? Dancing Dolls  (Read 1678 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Call that a restore????? Dancing Dolls
« on: December 28, 2009, 04:02:16 PM »
One of my new aquisitions.. GTB 1960 Dancing Dolls.
This game has obviously been untouched or cleaned since it was made in 1960, its also been in storage and is absolutely filthy.
Ive been through the game and got her up and running 100% so now i can take off the furniture and clean her up.
With the furniture removed she looks like this... 50 years of grime

Now i went through this PF with some Magic Eraser.. she really is in VERY good shape.. unfortunately, the ME took off some paint around the pop bumpers.. this happened in ONE stroke - she was cleaning up really nicely and just ONE extra wipe did this... be warned on these old PF's ME can eat them in a flash.. so the ME has now gone and im back to the micro fibre cloth and nifty - works and is safe

Now i am forced to do some touch ups - i WAS pondering on doing some but this now seals the deal for me.

So heres my problem - just how far do i go??

Ive decided that minor touch ups only - where paint is thinned or chipped will be restored, im also restoring to a natural patina - in other words matching the yellowed and aged PF.
Bumpers can be tricky - painting a circle is not easy - your hand will NEVER do it justice.. only way is to make a stencil. I use Corel Draw and a vinyl cutter, but in all honesty there is nothing stopping anyone from doing this - a steady hand, a compass and a craft knife will cut your template....heres mine - i make 2 of each - one is for the black lines thet get done later and other is for the block colour. Vinyl used is SPRAY MASK blue - has anti leaching qualities on the edges and is a low tac film

Mask is applied EXACTLY ensuring all edges are firmly down

Colour has been matched and is now airbrushed on

If you look carefully at the original (worn) paint, it has been worn down on the left hand side more and the original bright paint is showing through - on the right hand side is the old patina. I was crafty with this one - i matched the original bright paint and applied this - allowed to dry and then what was left over i mixed with a yellow ochre to obtain the stained "antique" colour. An old PF will change colour through itself - what matches at the top will not match at the bottom. This gives me real headaches sometimes. So what i did here is apply the antique colour unevenly over the bright colour - it matches the whole PF this way.. when you do solid block colours they tend to stand out like the dogs bollox and so i remind myself that im RESTORING to a 50 year old machine - NOT factory new.

Result is this

The other pop bumper is even more yellowed and so paint is once again tinted to suit

Ok so now im restoring this PF to what will be a stunning 50 year old beauty.. where the post have been screwed down has torn int the paint - these are all over the PF.. is not really a worry, but it does protrude outside of the posts and looks ugly - a quick touch up makes all the difference

from this

To this

Im actually "filling" with paint on these and so it takes many applications. You can see where ive been here - not because the colour is wrong but mainly because where ive cleand has left no shine on the PF.. if you wet the area ( bit of spit!)youll see better results - remember, when its waxed THIS is what it will look like

The are has not quite filled yet - few more and it will disappear altogether.
Better example is here - these old PF's get little white dots all over them where the paint comes off in tiny circles - over time these grow to BIG circles and the PF is quickly ruined with ball play. Picture below has these all painted out in tiny touch up dots, paint is real thin like a wash - colour matching is best seen here - its spot on!
Actually, i cheated a bit here - GTB used the SAME colours on many games right through the years... i stole a small amount of blue from a JACKS OPEN im doing and doctored it slightly to match the extra years on her... once you have your "base" GTB colours you save a heap of time. Preventing them drying up on you is the hard part

So some more minor touch ups to do - is good work, very relaxing... but you can see its not a major job

MORE TO COME!!!

Offline johnwartjr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
Re: Call that a restore????? Dancing Dolls
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 04:52:48 PM »
Nice work so far! I have 10 thumbs, so I am not talented with the artwork. I always find it fascinating watching someone do this.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 04:57:30 PM »
Nice work so far! I have 10 thumbs, so I am not talented with the artwork. I always find it fascinating watching someone do this.

Me too - I have no idea on how this is done - but I follow with amazement !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline MrMaloo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock NSW
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 06:03:59 PM »
Nice work Gav . Looks like it's coming up a treat .

Offline elkor-alish

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 06:14:37 PM »
I'm not really a fan of the older machines, but you have to admire the art work on them. Love that retro.
You also have to admire the talent and skill that goes into restoring these old machines.
Very nice so far mate. Will be watching with great interest.
Pins: The Getaway, TotAN, WH2O, Pinball Magic, Banzai Run, Flintstones, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings LE, Metallica LE, Iron Man VE, The Walking Dead LE, Star Trek The Next Generation.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 06:21:40 PM »
Looking good so far Gav beautiful old game and well worth all your work  ^^^

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 07:49:07 PM »
Nice work so far mate  *%*

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
Little bit more done on this... the posts had been screwed down HARD and had bitten into the PF leaving deep gauges... these get filled, rubbed back... filled again.. rubbed back etc etc etc till its almost smooth.. the gauge rings disappear after a while.
Ive restored these areas to suit the whole machine - its so tempting to stencil the areas off and respray, but it would look odd against the rest, so spot restore only is done...

...its looking good... from this....

To this

All the worn white areas have been done... its a technique where i have 3 or so colours at once and mix as i go feathering the paint in working with the grain.. works a bloody treat

Some pics of the bumper areas - now with paint complete

Lastly one overall pic.... only the black lines to go

Offline shamus

• Forum Posts:
  • wollongong
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 12:25:10 AM »
great work gav,will turn out to be a cracker. ^^^

Offline daics3522

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth, WA
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 03:08:11 AM »
Great work. Will you be clearcoating after the playfield restore??
1up Promotions provide all your promotional items... from keyrings to banners to stubby coolers etc, etc..... Anything you need just PM.... (website coming soon)

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 08:55:24 AM »
No - will not be clear coating. There is a very thin lacquer thats applied to these old PF's... ive only really spot restored and will give  a small light coat of lacquer only to the paint ive applied. The bumper areas are all new paint and high wear - these get a full coating. No other area ive done is high traffic... ill be spot coating with my airbrush

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 10:53:09 AM »
No - will not be clear coating. There is a very thin lacquer thats applied to these old PF's... ive only really spot restored and will give  a small light coat of lacquer only to the paint ive applied. The bumper areas are all new paint and high wear - these get a full coating. No other area ive done is high traffic... ill be spot coating with my airbrush

Coming along nicely, Gav. Can you substitute a full clearcoat with a full laquer for EMs ? I prefer the dullness of the laquer on an EM.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
Re: Call that a restore- Dancing Dolls DONE!!
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 11:18:51 AM »
No - will not be clear coating. There is a very thin lacquer thats applied to these old PF's... ive only really spot restored and will give  a small light coat of lacquer only to the paint ive applied. The bumper areas are all new paint and high wear - these get a full coating. No other area ive done is high traffic... ill be spot coating with my airbrush

Coming along nicely, Gav. Can you substitute a full clearcoat with a full laquer for EMs ? I prefer the dullness of the laquer on an EM.

Absolutely.. CC has a very different finish to it - also has a refractive index.. you can tell a CC as the egdes of the artwork, which once were so crisp will take on a very very slight blurring. CC also tends to come up thicker, but this might also be because many people put layer over layer to build the PF up to flat again.
The layer of lacquer on these is very fine.. thats what i want to recreate.

BUT!!! I also have some CFP water based clear that ive not yet tried... its designed for high traffic... im tempted to give this a go very thinly and save myself the fumes
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 10:22:35 AM by Retropin »

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
Re: Call that a restore- Dancing Dolls.. DONE!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 10:33:06 AM »
The restores are completed on the PF, inserts replaced and levelled etc.
Thin layer of lacquer has been applied and she looks REAL SWEET!
There are some FACTORY mistakes on this PF - drips of paint from its manufacture.. i left these in place as they are original FOR THIS MACHINE, im not aiming for perfection here.. just a restore to how it should be... its a 50 year old PF still... just the best youll see

Let this case harden and i can wax... ive already cleaned and put the leaf switches back through the PF.. but these pics were taken before that..

Nuff said - get on with it..

3 days work all up

Offline SPURR

• Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 01:08:46 PM »
Hey Gav with this pin I never knew that back in the 60's they had a pin that had such high scoring eg. 100.000 when lit. With my Bank a Ball its 600 points for a free game.