Author Topic: Sticky CPR star rollovers  (Read 344 times)

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
Sticky CPR star rollovers
« on: June 12, 2013, 09:05:36 PM »
Hi guys,

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has found this but I've just installed several of the white star roll overs which push into the insert on my Flash Gordon playfield and they are sticky as hell. There's no way the switch beneath the roll over will push the target back into place once the ball as rolled over. I've tried spreading the little tabs beneath the insert so that the shaft of the star has room to move but it hasn't made much difference. Any tips would be appreciated, thanks.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Sticky CPR star rollovers
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 09:12:12 PM »

http://www.classicplayfields.com/guides.html

All the playfields have the problem of the clear filling the cavities. You need a lot of patience to remove the clear. I use a scalpel and a very fine file. I use the scalpel to cut the inside of each line - pushing DOWN - not "cutting" up and down. I use the circular file for the cylindrical section. Very gently. I then use a dental pick for any other sections. Insert the rollover "upside down" to check that you have cleared everything.

This is normal for playfield clearcoats, and unavoidable. Takes time. 
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline el_timbo86

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 09:23:44 PM »
Super frustrating,

+1 to what Nino has covered. We are currently filming a Centaur rebuild at work, and we will cover this problem in a bit of detail.

CPR should really consider installing the rollover inserts after they clear their fields. I see no benefit from clearing over them, and it would also make them FAR easier to replace if any of the arms ever cracked, snapped etc etc...

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 10:42:38 PM »
Thanks guys, I thought the clear coat was the problem. Sounds like I need to purchase some small tools for the job.
I have to say this is not a job I'm particularly looking forward to.

Offline solar value

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 11:09:10 PM »
This is covered towards the end of this High End Pins video:

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 11:19:59 PM »
Excellent, thanks.   ^^^

Offline wiredoug

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Werribee Vic
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 11:54:20 PM »
We are currently filming a Centaur rebuild at work

Is this something that will be online?    Im about to start a PF swap on centaur ( tired original -> CPR resto) ..   first major SS surgery .. need all the hints i can get :)

Offline el_timbo86

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 08:56:01 AM »
We are currently filming a Centaur rebuild at work

Is this something that will be online?    Im about to start a PF swap on centaur ( tired original -> CPR resto) ..   first major SS surgery .. need all the hints i can get :)

Yes it will be documented online :)

Offline wiredoug

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Werribee Vic
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 01:56:13 PM »
Righto i'll get the popcorn ready.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 06:58:16 PM »
The criticism leveled at the Playboy repro playfield (in the video) is unwarranted. I watched it twice as I thought I was "over reacting", but that is an unprofessional approach. Maybe he should have just kept the original and spent 100 hours restoring it ?

I've had playfields clearcoated by professionals, and I've had to pick out the clear from the rollovers. It is part of the job, and I'd rather spend an hour picking the clear out than spending $1000+ having the original restored.

These CPR and Mirco playfields are MUCH better than worn originals. How about some credit where credit is due (instead of sooking through the video)..

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 07:57:57 PM »
I got bored at 2 mins.. i find yanks too irritating!

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 05:11:23 PM »
Well I finally got onto these today. It was a bit of a pain it the backside but once I got the knack I finished them off fairly quickly. You can get really good accuracy just using the tip of the scalpel working from the top of the playfield.

It also ended up being a really good opportunity to adjust all of the switches beneath them as I went. I've found that its one thing to just swap everything from one playfield to another but ensuring everything works as it should when you do is what takes the time. Very satisfying all the same when you know you have it right. Many of these rollovers wouldn't have registered in years I'm sure.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 12:45:16 AM »
Well I finally got onto these today. It was a bit of a pain it the backside but once I got the knack I finished them off fairly quickly. You can get really good accuracy just using the tip of the scalpel working from the top of the playfield.

It also ended up being a really good opportunity to adjust all of the switches beneath them as I went. I've found that its one thing to just swap everything from one playfield to another but ensuring everything works as it should when you do is what takes the time. Very satisfying all the same when you know you have it right. Many of these rollovers wouldn't have registered in years I'm sure.

That's really nice work there, Adam. Looks factory new ! Well done.. I really impressed with your work as it remains consistent with the original look.

Speaking of which (original look) - I watched the remainder of the Playboy "restoration" videos ( after the criticism of the CPR playfields ) and I was amused at the inaccuracies of the work done. Wrong cabinet color, and then a non factory "matt clear" on the cabinet. I have 14 CPR playields, and not one of them is "bowwwed".. I think the term "restoration" is fast becoming a loose terminology.

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 01:27:08 PM »

That's really nice work there, Adam. Looks factory new ! Well done.. I really impressed with your work as it remains consistent with the original look.

Thanks Nino. That's been my goal, at the end of the day I'm hoping I can look back on the whole machine and be happy that I have as close to the original spec as possible.  I had considered LEDs which I think look great on DMDs but I couldn't bring myself to do it on this machine. At the moment I just don't think it would look right.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2013, 12:02:42 AM »
Magic job mate, if it were my game i think the wife would have problems getting me to come to bed. I'd be playing till I drop.
Still loving my Metallica Premium