Aussie Pinball Forums > Circuit Board Repair Guides

Leaky batteries - Pretty colour

<< < (2/3) > >>

beaky:

--- Quote from: Pop Bumper Pete on April 05, 2015, 07:13:05 AM ---
--- Quote from: beaky on April 05, 2015, 03:56:40 AM ---on 2 occasions i have had to cut and replace several inches of row / column  wire because when you stripped the insulation back the conductor was green / white with corrosion

--- End quote ---

So, you can always get back to clean wire?

--- End quote ---

depends how long its been left for. one wire needed close to 30cms replaced but the rest didn't need much

studley67:
I too have seen early stern mpu200 boards with corosion all the way up to the header pins for switch/lamp matrix.No amount of remedial treatment was going to allow me to remove and replace those headers.The solder joints were fossilized.Plus i have had experienced noobs tell me"its not that bad,you can repair it"

Strangeways:
Love the close up photos. Corrosion is not always what can be seen. A lot of the times, corrosion has traveled along sections of traces that look fine until you sand away the surface. The "through holes" are also notorious for hiding corrosion. As a hobbyist, I enjoyed repairing these boards. As a business, it is not worth it. But "when" I have the time, I do like working on the really bad ones.

studley67:
agree,as a hobbyist it is a challenge and  a rewarding,experience to get one of these 35+ yr old boards working.but economically it is not worth the time and effort,when a brand new replacement board could be had for just over $200.

studley67:
your thoughts KEN,i am sure you have seen your share of battery corrosion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version