Author Topic: KBS Diamond Clear Coat Preparation & Application  (Read 9817 times)

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Whats it do to your fingers?

The moisture in your skin sets it off quick so you can stick your fingers together.

Obviously getting it in your eyes or mouth/airway would not be good either

I have heard mixed reviews as to which method to apply it, some say foam roller some say brush, maybe foam brush as you have used before may be good?

Offline Brettski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
  • Since I Was A Young Boy I Played The Silver Ball!
    • Strikes and Spares Restoration
Whats it do to your fingers?

The moisture in your skin sets it off quick so you can stick your fingers together.

Obviously getting it in your eyes or mouth/airway would not be good either

I have heard mixed reviews as to which method to apply it, some say foam roller some say brush, maybe foam brush as you have used before may be good?

With poly you can't re work it, I mean you can't brush over and over, you basically have to get it in the one stroke. Is this the same with KBS??

Brettski... :)

Offline Slash

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
I found it was fine to brush over and over with no problems, well up until it was close to setting/going off. I particularly focused on brushing and rebrushing (after re dipping the brush in KBS) areas that had cupped inserts repetitively with no problems.

With the KBS application I tried foam roller first with only avg results and then subsequent coats with a brush which was good.

After reading a couple of your resto threads I said to my wife last night maybe I should have given the foam brush a try too.  There was the odd spot where it was hard to get the clear to take. Maybe it was because the surface wasn't clean or something, but I really had to look hard on a side angle on subsequent coats to see where the clear had missed tiny bits, then focus on it with the brush to cover it. It worked, but maybe a foam brush may have been more encompassing/ less chance for the bristles to skip over??

Either way your resto finishes look like they have been great to date.

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
Thanks slash that is very helpful, much appreciated I now know what I am dealing with..

Yeah so far so good, each one is going to have a different surface now so it will be interesting to see and feel the difference plus the durability and longevity.
First one was Crystal Clear Acrylic in a spray can, second was Polyurethane and third will be KBS so I will be able to compare which was best to work with also..

Once done I will put up a post on what I found with each etc..

As for the areas you came across that it wasn't adhering what did you use for a prep?

I use Repco Wax & Grease Remover (Prepare) and it seems to work really well, I had one spot on the Sinbad that I tested wax polish on then cleaned it with the Repco gear then tried another coat of Poly and it did not adhere on that area, it did what you said happened to you so I sanded the area again then used the prep and all good. So a good even sanding and the repco stuff will give you a great surface to clear coat.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers: Brettski... :)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 12:29:04 AM by Brettski »

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
I have just layed the first coat of KBS using a foam brush and I must say other than the smell this stuff is great to work with compared to Polyurethane.

Very nice gloss to it, I guess it's not going to be true to the original with such a high gloss but looking good.. so far I am impressed.

Thanks again for the heads up.

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
What are you guy's using as thinners, just terps or an actual thinners?
What do you recommend ?

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
What are you guy's using as thinners, just terps or an actual thinners?
What do you recommend ?

Not turps
I think all purpose thinners but not quite sure, best to ask where you bought it from

Offline Slash

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
I actually bought some KBS brand thinners at the same time and used that. I used about 20-30% thinners.

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
I actually bought some KBS brand thinners at the same time and used that. I used about 20-30% thinners.

Thanks slash..

I had to travel an hour away to get the KBS and didn't think of thinners, what can I use from Bunnings, any idea?

Brett

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Wont get it at Bunnings... and if you use All Purpose then im not sure it works with KBS and it will eat your polyurethane.
You need KBS thinners only

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
Wont get it at Bunnings... and if you use All Purpose then im not sure it works with KBS and it will eat your polyurethane.
You need KBS thinners only

Good advice.. I don't think I actually need it now as I have a pretty good finish and ready to lay the last coat..

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
I found these applicators at Bunnings and thought I would give it a try, they work extremely well with the KBS..
They are just a polystyrene thingy with very soft small bristles, you can cut them with a stanley knife if needed but recommend giving it a try..
Test it on a scrap piece of ply first and you will see what I mean.. very cheap and disposable.  Much better than a foam brush which is better than a roller..

KBS will react with the polystyrene but not immediately, meaning it will dissolve the styrene. You can apply your coat then throw it away, use a fresh applicator for each coat..

SHURE-LINE Handi Painter

As Molly Meldrum would say.. "Do yourself a Favour"  ^^^

« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 01:38:38 PM by Brettski »

Offline shaneo

• Forum Posts:
  • Canbraahh
Re: KBS Diamond Clear Coat Preparation & Application
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2015, 12:15:45 AM »
Xylene works well as a cost effective alternative to the KBS branded thinners.

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2015, 09:07:59 PM »
Xylene works well as a cost effective alternative to the KBS branded thinners.

Thanks for that!

As it turns out I did need thinners and ended up buying the KBS stuff but good to know in the future!
I had some slight channeling and the KBS at full strength didn't level quite enough so I thinned it 30% and the finish is fantastic.
Hard to tell in a photo but really happy with the result.

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2015, 10:01:56 AM »
Good work Brettski. I really like this approach because not all of us necessarily want professionally-restored machines &/or have pins we'd like to improve but want to diy. This is a "readily-available" way those at home, without spray gear, can improve their pins/ work on the playfield. We've now seen Slask, Oldskool & you kick some goals with the KBS - top stuff I reckon  ^^^
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.