Author Topic: Gottlieb Cleopatra Restoration  (Read 9995 times)

Offline Brettski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
  • Since I Was A Young Boy I Played The Silver Ball!
    • Strikes and Spares Restoration
Re: Gottlieb Cleopatra Restoration
« on: July 24, 2015, 11:20:34 PM »
Update..

I was not completely satisfied with the results, a few areas had some streaking from not thinning the KBS so I sanded it and then thinned the KBS to 30% and gave it a final coat. Much better, completely flat so I recommend using the thinners especially on the final coat..

Now to wait a week and then give it a buff before reassembling the playfield. It came with a fresh set of drop targets so while the assembly is detached  I will replace them.
Time to get some parts orders in now that I know what I am up against and the direction I will take this resto in.

Also need to rebuild the cabinet as there is no base in it and the sides are rotted, as I said earlier this machine was a real basket case which gives me more determination to give it a decent go!

Backglass is bad but maybe not completely out of the realm of repair, I am thinking of trying waterslide decals to repair the damaged areas but will mean scraping back paint.
Ultimately there is not much to lose as it looks horrible the way it is, well to me anyway so a good attempt may reap a decent result otherwise short of finding a replacement at some huge cost I have a few other ideas up my sleeve such as vinyl print, translite or another idea is to photograph it then fix up in photoshop then have all the black areas (key lines etc) printed to vinyl and applied to a piece of glass then freshly hand paint all the colours back on to the backside of the glass or a combination of paint and waterslide decals..
It will be the biggest challenge of the whole project but not much to lose giving it a go..

I will keep you up to date regarding the direction of the backglass.

The best part of the whole machine is the underside of the playfield, it is in quite good condition which is odd as the rest of the machine is falling apart.

I will leave it at that at the moment because I think the fumes from the KBS are kicking in and I could end up with a backglass full of unicorns.. LOL

Cheers: Brettski... :)

Brettski... :)