Author Topic: Gottlieb Sys 80 Replacement Audio Amp (original part is obsolete)  (Read 988 times)

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Well typically Gottlieb ( <.>) the audio output chip on System 80 games (LM379) was obsolete even while the games were in current production! Unbelievable. Seriously I think one of the main reasons Gottlieb 'lost the plot' when the era of electronic pinballs hit was they had some really bad advice regarding electronics. Anyway, back to the problem at hand.

Gottlieb released some service advice suggesting a different chip could be used but, yet again, the replacement one chosen couldn't have been further from 'the best choice'. Their mod required track cuts and several jumper wires - not pretty! I guess it did work though.

I started looking at a replacement board for these IC's a while back but I mucked up the PCB layout and transposed a couple of wires. When I discovered this (AFTER I had made a few test boards) I chucked the whole lot in the corner, disgusted with myself and moved on to other things.

Recently a member asked me about this project as it is mentioned on my website somewhere? Enough time had passed so I wasn't as annoyed with myself so I dragged the project out and corrected the errors. I double checked that the circuit would actually work and referred to the manufacturers spec sheet for some biasing advice.

I had originally found a 'quick fix' elsewhere on the web using a similar chip but it still required adding wires and resistors to the main PCB to perform the mod. I dislike that sort of thing and you will find that all of my 'add-ons' and repair boards don't require any modifications to the original game and in most cases no soldering either so the boards can be returned to the original condition quickly and easily should the correct part/s be found one day. This module has the required biasing resistors built right onto the module itself - no external parts needed.

In this case the original dud chip has to be removed and this module is a direct replacement requiring no other work and no other wiring or parts at all.

Here are the batch or 'new' boards I made (with fingers crossed this time).

I built two of them up initially:

Then I made a jig that replicated the Sys 80 motherboard exactly (well, the audio output section anyway).

I was greeted with a loud "BRAATTZZZZZZZ" when I touched the input pin so that was a good start. Connected an audio source from a generator and the CRO on the output and the amplification was quite clean with so little distortion that it certainly won't bother a pinball amplifier.

So I have another small add-on available - must be time to update the website I guess................

Price wise - I guess about $25 each for a complete assembled module, tested, ready to solder straight in.

Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
$%$

I have to agree!!!  This hobby has needed someone like you Mike for a long time... glad you are here!

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Great stuff Mike - PM sent!!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline chris288

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
Fantakka Mondatta  ^^^

Its a good thing you can get replacements for the obsolete MPSU45 ( CENU45 ).

I'd hate to think what the SYS80 driver board would look like if you had to use a similar replacement for the MPSU45, I Think theres nearly 40 of those little bastards ^&(

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong

Mike you really are a genius

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

Anyone that owns a SYS80 will need to have one as a spare - Brilliant !

Hey Mike, I heard 6800 are become obsolete - any plans  %.%
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline 63wizz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
Great work Mike, i dont know why some of these work around piggy back boards havnt been done before this.
Its good to know we have options when things go wrong with these older boards.
Keep up the good work Mike.

ian

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
I've has two of these fail on different games, so I'm keen to replace the current failed one in the Spirit, and have a spare for BH down the track. HH already has a similar (albeit a bit unwieldy by comparison to Mike's) modded replacement.

Mike's sending one down, so hopefully we'll have an evaluation in a week or two.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
I've has two of these fail on different games, so I'm keen to replace the current failed one in the Spirit, and have a spare for BH down the track. HH already has a similar (albeit a bit unwieldy by comparison to Mike's) modded replacement.

Mike's sending one down, so hopefully we'll have an evaluation in a week or two.
Happy to give a second opinion once spirit has sound Nick i can bring them legs aswell

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria

Happy to give a second opinion once spirit has sound Nick i can bring them legs aswell

great stuff! Maybe bring your soldering skills too as I'm am notoriously ham fisted and that way I can take some photos of the fitting of the module for Mike

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat

great stuff! Maybe bring your soldering skills too as I'm am notoriously ham fisted and that way I can take some photos of the fitting of the module for Mike

It will be good practice for you
with Homepins modual, you are only soldering conector pins, not actual pins on an IC
Sure, you could damage the board, but I doubt you are that bad

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria

It will be good practice for you
with Homepins modual, you are only soldering conector pins, not actual pins on an IC
Sure, you could damage the board, but I doubt you are that bad

doubt all you like, but while I am fine with larger stuff, when it comes to board work I do as you mention like to practice, then invariably call nug to undo my work and fix the original problem! Nah, seriously I don't seem to have the patience or maybe the eyes for board work. I enjoy watching nug whip the iron arond fixing Smd tiny chips that I can't even see the legs on!

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
I used one of these replacement modules a few weeks ago for a Black Hole.
Works perfectly and is very easy to install
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
I used one of these replacement modules a few weeks ago for a Black Hole.
Works perfectly and is very easy to install

Yep, Spirit has had no issues for a year now.