Author Topic: Zaccaria Earth wind and fire  (Read 1411 times)

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Re: Zaccaria Earth wind and fire
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2011, 02:42:05 PM »
Q3 is the culprit, also I found Q17 is cactus also (coin mech lockout I presume after looking at the schematic) the resistors & diodes are fine. I will also replace the 7407 I.C. that controls Q3 just to be safe, the cost of the I.C. & socket is way cheaper than the cost of posting it back up to me and then posting it back down to you again. I will also de solder & then re solder a couple of the transistors that have been replaced before. if you look at solder on the transistor in front of the one with its guts blown out you can see the blobs of solder holding it in.   
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 06:25:17 PM by beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2011, 10:02:49 PM »
The repairs are done and the board is on the way.
I could only find both parts at jaycar (locally anyway)
Their catalogue says they carry the BD 649  tranisistors but as mentioned by another member earlier they gave me an equivalent which is a BDX 53C. There are already a couple of BDX 53C transistors on the board from previous repairs. I checked the specs on both transistors (just in case the equivalent had a lower rating) and they were a match.

I checked all other components relating to the faulty transistor (resistors & diodes) all were fine  

I also socketed and replaced the 7407 I.C. that controls the transistor with blown out junction (the one in the photo with it's guts blown out) just in case it was also damaged. Lucky i checked the tiny numbers on the I.C. (With a magnifying glass, my eyes aren't what they used to be)  they had given me a 7404 I.C. which is a hex inverter not a hex buffer like the 7407. There would have been some drams if i had put 7404 in  ^&^  

sorry if i have bored anyone with my technical bla bla  :tumble: but i thought i would put it here for any one that may need to repair a Zaccaria driver board.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 10:05:09 PM by beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2011, 10:19:05 PM »
LOl- after attempting to put a LM3900N in place of a CA3081, i always use an eye glass to read my chips.
If it hadnt had the wrong number of legs.. i would have put it in

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2011, 11:37:37 PM »
what would have made it worse is the pins correspond to one another on the 2 chips so we would have had all the solenoids controlled by that chip turning on when they were supposed to be off and off when on. plus if the machine was left on it would have cooked all the coils it controlled.  #@#   

Offline infinite1977

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
  • Roger 504 apprehend him
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2011, 06:15:03 PM »
Ok EWF Finally working, with a major part to Beaky :)

One last issue, one of the displays only has 2 digits. I have spoken to David at Zaccaria and he seems to think 2 of the 3 tubes are not working. He can fix it if need be, but was wondering if anyone local can fix it or have a display to suit for the machine. Apart from that it has come up fairly good with a little wear on the playfield, but generally in good condition over all.
Thanks to everyone who has helped with the machine. I shall post some pics shortly of it.

Time for the next one I think :), just need some room

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2011, 08:24:36 AM »
I am glad we got it all sorted for you.  ^^^