Author Topic: Zaccaria Time Machine - No Solenoids working  (Read 1349 times)

Offline 63wizz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
Zaccaria Time Machine - No Solenoids working
« on: February 26, 2011, 07:00:39 PM »
Hi I have bought a Zaccaria Time Machine pin, the pin boots and allows credits to be added,
then when pressing the start button the game starts,the speech works, but the ball is not sent to the shooter lane,
so i flick it through with my finger, shoot the ball on to the PF and all the scoring works,
the flippers the pop bumpers the time machine do not work, so basically all the solenoids dont work,
I have checked the fuses and reseated some connectors.

Ian

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Re: Zaccaria Time Machine - No Solenoids working
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 07:03:57 PM »
For starters a visual inspection of the coils could be helpful - see if they look burnt out or OK.

Then you are probably looking at driver boards, reseating connectors and inspecting for burnt out transistors, having first checked that there is voltage to the boards.

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 07:35:30 PM »
Beaky (Andrew) I think has just repaired some Zac boards for another member here, so I'm tipping he will be the man to speak too..

I've never seen one, never worked on one, so cannot offer any advice.

Offline 63wizz

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 09:11:13 PM »
There doesnt seem to be any power at the solenoids when game is started.

Ian

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 09:13:59 PM »
Are the correct voltages getting to the driver board(s)?

Offline 63wizz

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 01:44:00 PM »
There is no 39v at TP5.
i will print the Schematics and see what i find.

Ian

Offline 63wizz

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 07:41:32 PM »
Found the fuse was blown, i did check them before i turned the machine on for the first time.
so i start a game and the ball pops out, the time machine PF lowers and all the sling shots and pop bumpers work.
I press the flippers and there are sparks at the flipper switch then nothing. Blown fuse again.
replace fuse and start a game again, everything works. The right flipper works, the left flipper blows the fuse.
I checked the coils for resistance, they are varying.

Flipper coils confuse the shit out of me, especially when there are 4 at the bottom of the PF.

Ian

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 07:51:04 PM »
Gday Ian .

This is just a guess/suggestion but are the diodes on the flipper coils all intact and connected?
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline dj10555

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 08:11:35 PM »
Hi Ian,

Have a look at the flipper coils and see if any appear burnt and that the flipper bats can move freely. If they are siezed, then the coil could be fried.

The fuse can also blow if the EOS switch on the flipper mech is broken or mis-adjusted.
When the flipper bat is at rest the EOS Switch contacts should touch together (and the stationary switch blade will flex slightly, showing the contacts are touching together firmly). When the flipper bat is fully extended, the switch blades should be open.

If you follow the two wires from the EOS switch back to the flipper coil, these will be connected to the hold section of the flipper coil. These coils lugs should measure 0 ohms when the flipper bat is at rest and the EOS switch is closed and about 300 ohms when EOS switch is open and the flipper bat is moved up.

If you now measure between the middle lug and the other lug (which doesn't have any wires from the switch) on the flipper coil you should get about 3 ohms.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any more questions.  I recently had to rebuild another Time Machine power supply from another collector. To do this properly required, replacing all the fuse holder, bridges, headers, and matching connectors in the harness. Not sure if this is a common problem on Zacs but this needed a fair bit to get right.

regards Derek

Offline 63wizz

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 09:25:19 PM »
Yea the fuse holders do need replacing as they are very week.
I think its a stuffed coil, i disconnected the double wires of one coil and started the game
the fuse didnt blow but the other flipper didnt work either.
I will try your idea tomorrow Derek.

thanks Ian

Offline 63wizz

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 01:50:52 PM »
Yea it is defiantly a burnt coil.
the coil that is stuffed operates the end of stroke switch which gives power to the other flipper,so both flippers not working.(two flippers on left and two flippers on the right, the left flippers were not working)
i moved the coil from the out side flipper to the inside flipper and it works, i will get a new coil for the outside.
but the game is playable as it is, everything seems to be working now  #*#

Ian 

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 02:31:09 PM »
Good stuff  ^^^ ^^^ Time Machine looks like it'd be an interesting and fun game, a mate of mine has one and i have been helping him with trying to get it going (i say TRYING as it had heaps of MPU problems  ^&^ ) hoping to see his game working soon, he just got the boards back after having them repaired.

Are you able to upload a video of yours to youtube by any chance?? would love to see and hear one in action  *%* *%*

Offline 63wizz

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 09:13:01 PM »
Good stuff  ^^^ ^^^ Time Machine looks like it'd be an interesting and fun game, a mate of mine has one and i have been helping him with trying to get it going (i say TRYING as it had heaps of MPU problems  ^&^ ) hoping to see his game working soon, he just got the boards back after having them repaired.

Are you able to upload a video of yours to youtube by any chance?? would love to see and hear one in action  *%* *%*

A video just for you  $!&

Ian

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 09:23:33 PM »
Nice looking game!

Love the "you are average" comment. I suppose that's why I'll never get one - a machine for that? I've got Mrs Pinnies4me to keep me informed! :)

“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 09:24:55 PM »
awesome!!  ^^^ thanks for doing that.. love the sounds on the Zac pins, really unique