Author Topic: My CFTBL DMD Panel lighting mod begins....  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
Re: My CFTBL DMD Panel lighting mod begins....
« on: May 27, 2010, 05:03:04 PM »
A LOT more done to this today - took me most of the day to be honest....but I just plodded along......

I pushed all the RED Led's into place to see how it was all going to lay and get an idea of where/ how I could run all the Ground & 12v wires.....

As the Kansas Pinball guy said , the speakers gets in the way , I sliced up a spare cliffy post to make little mounts and I will put something around the gap around the entire edge of the speaker to stop any light coming through.

Once I was happy with how it was all going to sit I wired my little 'groups' of 4 RED Leds and soldered the resistor onto the correct end of the group - exactly as per Beaky's rules.....

After all the 'groupings' were done I wired the Ground ( white in my images ) and 12v ( Blue in my images ) and it ended up like this........

It was time to test this , so with the heart rate up a little I headed for the machine , connected to the pins that beaky said to and I saw this ....... ( you will note I have wired the yellow star in this first section as well )

I WAS ON FIRE !
and pretty happy with how I was travelling  *)*

Next was the STARLIGHT lettering .......... this took a long time and was fiddly.......

Now the whole panel looks like this..........

Time for another test run ............. I should have put Sunnies on  #@#

And here it is as a comparison  - unlit / lit.
I am glad that I took the extra time to router out the lettering and star shapes and also ground the LE tops flat as they light up REALLY nicely, at one stage in my tests the yellow star LED fell forward against the panel and it was just this VERY BRIGHT and noticeable yellow dot that looked friggin ridicoulous which told me that the STARLIGHT letters would have also looked stupid if you just drilled out a hole and put an LED in them.

I get quite a bit of light in the room from a large window , so I will take another shot later to hopefully show the tail-lights lit up better

I have to go and  tidy up/ tape the wiring in place and re-assemble the panel properly.

Wotto

DW Drums rule !