Author Topic: Queen Of Diamonds  (Read 5046 times)

mark jackson

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Queen Of Diamonds
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 03:15:59 PM »
Hi guys, Thanks for all the positive feedback and comments you've given regarding this most difficult restoration of a pinball machine. If you thought I was finished, then I'm not quite done .......
          So far, I've talked about the cabinet, the playfield, and some of the parts that were replaced. This only leaves the 'under-side' of the playfield, and what's in the cabinet itself.
          I'm going to make a few comments here which may prompt debate and agreement or disagreement. That's ok with me, as there are lots of opinions and ideas to consider when thinking about how/what to restore. Let me begin by making comment about something. I've heard the comment a few times that only pinballs with 'original' paintwork, plastics, backglass etc are worthy of being classed as 'collectible'. For me, this comes under the banner of what I call 'The Illusion of Fantasy' ...... I've already conceeded that a Class 1, 'original', untouched machine is the most desirable. The one catch here is that I've NEVER seen such a machine. Pinballs are like old cars. When they are in 'original' condition they are almost always broken, clapped out, rusted, non-working. Yes, they may be in 'original' condition, but even that is misleading.
           We all enjoyed playing machines in arcades, milk bars etc and usually, these machines were 'as new' ..ie: all shiny, good bright paint, evrything working as new. In fact it was a real thrill to rock up to the milkbar to find the latest Gottlieb had just arrived. They looked fantastic, they sounded great and they were the complete 'fantasy'. These machines had nothing to do with some broken down wreck, and if a wreck had been in the milkbar, it would barely get a coin compared to a sparkly, new model. ...that is if they worked at all.
            So, when a machine is repainted, it's because it HAS to be repainted. When I look at the pics of The Queen Of Diamonds in the state I got it, it's just laughable. It's not the faithfull reproduction of a design/paintjob that's a problem ..... it's the folks who decide to paint the box bright purple who are the worry. Once a machine has been changed to 'non-original', then the best thing from that point is to bring it back to as close to original as possible. When I think of what I prefer ... Q of D as I got it, or as it is now, then there's only one way to go. No one (surely) would argue that it was better before I re-did the cabinet.
            Another thing that happens is this .... Often a machine can both LOOK better and WORK better than it ever did when it was new. Pinnies are that strange combination of two opposing principles...1. It needs to be made for as cheap as possible...2. It needs to NEVER break down..(no working, no money!) So while electro-mechanical pinballs have much that is 'indestructable' about them, they also have a certain 'cheap and nasty' aspect to them. In other words, they can easily be restored to look, work and BE BETTER than they ever were when they were new. Yes, that's a fact.... Like old cars, when they are done thoroughly, they will often present better than 'original'. The cabinet is an easy part to show this. As I said, when I repaint, I do 2-3 undercoats, 3-4 coats main cream colour, and when all colour is on box, I give it all around 4-5 coats of a clear semi-gloss..... End result: the cabinet has been properly done and therefore should last years and years and still look like new. It should not flake off or fade like they do from the factory.
            So just because a pinball looks better than it did when new, that is no reason to think of it as 'less' than an original. The differences should only be slight Eg: chroming a part which was originally stainless steel. So, when a restored machine looks and plays better than original, please don't rush to 'put it down'. In many regards, by then it is in fact a superior example to the 'mint' original ...(still usually impossible to find.) In USA they have more pinball machines, so have a tendancy to 'look down their nose' at restored machines. I think that it's not the restorers who are the problem....it's the 'butchers' and 'hackers' who show no regard for what & how they are changing the machine. .....
             I do want to finish of my notes about Queen Of Diamonds. I still have to say a few things about flippers, bumpers, and what's under the playfield. However, I got a bit side-tracked here, so I'll leave that till the next time I get a chance to write a bit. (I'll give you a few tips on how to get better the factory performance, without changing any factory parts/settings. Yes, it CAN be done, and fairly easily too.)
             Have a great weekend...... Also, I'd like to say that I'm open to offers to sell /trade my machines. I only have World Fair, Sweethearts, Sky Jump, and Queen Of Diamonds left. As I get older, I do better with less machines, and so periodically, I like to turn a few over so I can get other machines....Also, I'm looking for a new and worthy restoration project. If you have such a machine, and know that you'll never actually get the time to do it yourself, maybe we can do something. Regards, Mark