Author Topic: Bally Fathom Restoration - Number Two  (Read 8285 times)

Offline Steve2010

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
Re: Bally Fathom Restoration - Number Two
« on: March 03, 2013, 11:34:53 PM »
Nino, Fathom is for sure a topic unto itself.

When I first got hooked back into pinball 3 years ago and reviewed the games from the Bally SS era on ipdb, I remember my first impression looking at Fathom.  I thought to myself, nope, not for me, can't get used to the look of the cab with its design and all.  At that stage I have never even played one once, let alone see one in the flesh.

But it was your first Fathom resto thread that started to get me hooked.  The more I looked, the more I liked.  And there's no question that this is one title that has a sizeable interest.  Not just here ..... all you have to do is touch base with people in America and Europe as well, and you can sense that this game is in demand.  I simply really like this game alot now, and it really does package great game play, stunning artwork on the playfield and backglass, and the cabinet has grown on me.  Looking at the combination of cab, BG, and PF, and it really is a nick "package".

Now to this game.  Most people that would go to the trouble of restencilling this game you would think would at least attempt the same pattern as the original.  It took two seconds to see that this was not the case.  The front especially, that pattern is so different to the original.  Where are the stencils coming from?  I would think that this is a very challening stencil to make.  I have done a few stencils myself so far.  Just looking at the stencil requirements for Fathom is certainly getting up there.

Really looking forward to this restore, especially how the cab respry will turn out (sorry, not trying to add any pressure, I know you will come through).  But it is a bit of a daunting task.

What's the condition of the backglass?  Sure is nice to see the original.  Shame that CPR never got the repro even close to what it should have been, but I guess a repro is better than nothing if the original is shot.