Author Topic: KBS Diamond Clear Coat Preparation & Application  (Read 9803 times)

Offline DSB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
Re: KBS Diamond Clear Coat Preparation & Application
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2015, 03:31:40 PM »
Nice looking playfield. Great job Brett!

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
  • Since I Was A Young Boy I Played The Silver Ball!
    • Strikes and Spares Restoration
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2015, 04:16:00 PM »
Thanks guy's much appreciated..

Something I have learned from this and from using multiple finishes is that the KBS is great to work with and produces an immaculate finish but more suited to modern machines.
I would recommend the KBS way to anyone with a modern pin that comes with a deep gloss finish from the factory.

For older machines such as 70's Solid State and earlier EM's the best finish that is true to the original is the Polyurethane but harder to work with. Cabbots Cabothane is the stuff for this and can be found at Bunnings, use the water based stuff. This gear is superb for a true SS or EM finish and this is what I will use in the future with my vintage machines.

Just love the playfield finish on my Sinbad with this stuff and plays really well. see pic below..

As for the Crystal Clear Acrylic, I used this on Strikes and Spares. Well done right is has a nice finish but once again not real true to the original but I used satin which didn't produce a deep gloss and looks great. I used spray cans and I don't really have a suitable place for this application so I won't be using it again.

As I said I have really learned a lot from each playfield so far and thanks everyone for all the friendly advice.

Cheers: Brettski... :)

« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 04:19:01 PM by Brettski »

Offline Slash

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2015, 04:26:24 PM »
Looks like you got a great finish on it in the end. Nice job!

The stuff is really quite easy to work with isn't it!

Offline andtan

• Forum Posts:
  • Canberra, ACT
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2015, 06:47:26 PM »
Hey Brettski,

That looks great!  ^^^

Can you tell me what time of day you did the coats, and what the temperature/humidity was at the time?

I have previously played with KBS with a roller - ohh the fun that was  @.@ - but the summer temps in the Canberra summer (even in the morning) made it hard to do. The KBS would 'flash' dry on the surface and go off before it had a chance to level. I think I went even as far as 50% thinners at once stage, but then had to double the coats to build it up.

Cheers,

Andy

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2015, 06:52:32 PM »
I mix mine about 50/50 and chuck it through the sprayer. Have used it in pretty high Brisbane humidity and not had any blushing or problems settling.. love the stuff!

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
  • Since I Was A Young Boy I Played The Silver Ball!
    • Strikes and Spares Restoration
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2015, 07:05:37 PM »
I mix mine about 50/50 and chuck it through the sprayer. Have used it in pretty high Brisbane humidity and not had any blushing or problems settling.. love the stuff!
That's good to know, maybe the fact you sprayed it and it was quite thin gave you a better result over how Andy did it. At least we know it can be done in high humidity.

Great input on this thread..  ^^^

Cheers: Brettski... :)

Offline nromo

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2015, 02:02:41 PM »
Just install laminated insert decals on top of cleared and cured playfield and then buy a Makrolon (polycarbonate) playfield protector to go over that. Now you can have a perfect ball surface without fuss and concern about inserts popping up. This is my plan for F-14 Tomcat which is notorious for that problem. Playfield will last forever. No need to worry about building up low spots or multiple coats. I figure two coats is plenty. Use a fine bristle paint brush. Way simpler than all this spraying and toxic auto clearing. 

http://playfield-protectors.com/
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 02:45:08 PM by nromo »