Author Topic: Getaway 2 - lcd upgrade  (Read 7023 times)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Getaway 2 - lcd upgrade
« on: April 05, 2012, 12:20:04 AM »
Check out this video on YouTube:

&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Some guys modified a Getaway 2 with a LCD in the back box. Personally don't like it but still impressive what some people are doing.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: Getaway 2 - lcd upgrade
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 08:37:33 AM »

Quick, someone send the link to Stern, MSMD (Monkey See Monkey Do).

Imagine the local Timezone today - to watch a game someone else is playing, you need to get a bit close to the players personal space. A game with a display like that really could attract the eye and give the person watching a glimpse of what's happening in the game. I think LCD's provide a wonderful opportunity. I guess we'll start to see those through JJP.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Cow Corner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 08:51:50 AM »
I don't like the LCD either.
It looks tacky and if this is the future of pinball....meh, big deal.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 09:10:14 AM »

Quick, someone send the link to Stern, MSMD (Monkey See Monkey Do).

Imagine the local Timezone today - to watch a game someone else is playing, you need to get a bit close to the players personal space. A game with a display like that really could attract the eye and give the person watching a glimpse of what's happening in the game. I think LCD's provide a wonderful opportunity. I guess we'll start to see those through JJP.

It's amazing what different groups of people can achieve, recent Stern's are looking like 90's machines now.

I should give a bit more detail to my original post: I am impressed what these guys have done and the lcd is very effective and I agree with Nick will be great for spectators and if JJP are able to install a camera within the game or from the top of the backbox - people can then view the action on the lcd even better again.

What I didn't like is the sound effects and the graphics were a bit repetitive but still cool showing what can be done. I have never seen a HSII in the flesh but the playfield looked tinted red and it just doesn't look that good.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 09:28:36 AM »
I would have kept it original personally. The translite on that model always looked great. Thats where a LCD lets a pin down, you lose the great original artwork. On some new models the LCD might look good and might work, but cannabilising a 90's dmd machine wouldnt be on my agenda.
I like things close to stock, but people have to start experimenting somewhere I guess.

As for STERN supposedly copying everything from everyone, they say copying successful people or successful ideas is a great form of flattery.
I say well done to STERN for seeing great ideas and running with them. Its got to be better than seeing great ideas and not copying them.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 09:50:34 AM »
As for STERN supposedly copying everything from everyone, they say copying successful people or successful ideas is a great form of flattery.
I say well done to STERN for seeing great ideas and running with them. Its got to be better than seeing great ideas and not copying them.

Some people are innovators (JJP) and some are imitators (Stern).

It's just a shame Stern can't be a little more proactive, but as long as they keep up and add to pinball variety.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 10:05:39 AM »
JJP have a LONG way to go before they even come close to being the pinball company STERN is. About 40 titles would be a start, and another 10 years of being in production. Dont forget, Stern have survived the Global financial Crisis and many other hassles, where many bigger companies have failed.

I dont subscibe to the fact that Stern copies everything at all. They havent copied anything from anyone in 10 plus years, everyone else has been shut during Stern's 40 plus produced titles !  I think a Stern factory tour should be a must for anyone who can visit the USA to put the great work STERN has done into perspective.  ^^^

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 10:17:50 AM »
JJP have a LONG way to go before they even come close to being the pinball company STERN is. About 40 titles would be a start, and another 10 years of being in production. Dont forget, Stern have survived the Global financial Crisis and many other hassles, where many bigger companies have failed.

I dont subscibe to the fact that Stern copies everything at all. They havent copied anything from anyone in 10 plus years, everyone else has been shut during Stern's 40 plus produced titles !  I think a Stern factory tour should be a must for anyone who can visit the USA to put the great work STERN has done into perspective.  ^^^

Totally agree with you cavey, Stern have and are doing well given everyone else dropped out of the market, it just would have been nice to see small developments like colour dmd's etc, their machines are still very 90's style in design, but thats where competition is good as everyone benefits from it in various ways - competition is healthy.

Anyway back on topic, this is a insight to what will come on machines in the future especially JJP machines as Jack has stated on Spooky that all machines will have lcd's in the future. In addition there will tweak effects once they listen to the public's opinion after viewing in person and experiencing it in the flesh. They will be effective in a club or entertainment centre attracting people to the machine good for everyone. It's progress and great for advertising in a establishment.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 10:22:14 AM by swinks »

for pinball t-shirts

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 10:40:11 AM »

I dont subscibe to the fact that Stern copies everything at all. They havent copied anything from anyone in 10 plus years, everyone else has been shut during Stern's 40 plus produced titles !  I think a Stern factory tour should be a must for anyone who can visit the USA to put the great work STERN has done into perspective.  ^^^

Couldnt agree more Brett well said mate.

Peter

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 12:29:18 PM »

They havent copied anything from anyone in 10 plus years

Do ya think that might just have something to do with the fact Williams left the industry 10 plus years ago and there's been no-one to copy? :)

Seriously, Stern are the absolute MSMD, it goes back to classic Stern copying the Bally boardset and then DE copying the System 11 boardset. Never been anything but imitators, and now they have been left on their own for 10 plus years have failed to innovate, and will be forced to play catch up footy with JJP.

This isn't to say they haven't produced  few really good games in their time as the only manufacturer. But they haven't done much to move pinball forward.

Really think the LCD idea has some great possibilities.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 12:54:48 PM »
AND who did JJP copy from, every working part on their pinball machine is copied or borrowed from a Williams part. They only thing they didnt copy is the LCD screen, or did they copy that from a Williams Pin200 like RFM or Star Wars Ep 1 and just update a monitor to a LCD screen. That puts it into pespective.  ^^^

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 01:19:56 PM »
For those interested the car on the playfield is a Audi E-Tron Spyder

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/audi-e-tron-spyder-prototype-drive-review

for pinball t-shirts

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 01:20:56 PM »
AND who did JJP copy from, every working part on their pinball machine is copied or borrowed from a Williams part. They only thing they didnt copy is the LCD screen, or did they copy that from a Williams Pin200 like RFM or Star Wars Ep 1 and just update a monitor to a LCD screen. That puts it into pespective.  ^^^

Of course JJP have "copied" some things (virtually everything in fact), because they are building a pinball machine. Some things will naturally be common to any pinball machine.

Talking here about innovation - taking what we have and bringing it forward a step. Absolutely, B/W did it with P2K. JJP has done it with an LCD screen, like we see here on this Getaway.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 08:21:20 PM »
you are correct regarding innovation Nick.  ^^^     if these guys with the HS2 can do a LCD screen, it means people are looking hard at JJP.

Stern shld have done a widebody and extra playfields well before now (or when/if they do ?) (they did do extra playfields on some titles like Shrek n Family Guy and a few others, but not 3 seperate playfields and a widebody at once like JJP first time out. That is innovation or smart marketing, or both.

** my post Nick about JJP copying/using all williams stuff was a bit unfair, what else could they use. ?  my stupid.  @.@

Offline pinmadd

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 06:55:12 AM »
Who say's competition is'nt any good?  Has'nt the price of new pin's gone up now.   #*#