Author Topic: The Addams Family - Playfield swap ?  (Read 5303 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
The Addams Family - Playfield swap ?
« on: June 01, 2015, 12:00:46 AM »
First I'd like to mention that I'm JUST as behind on Documentation of restoration work as I am on restorations. This game was completed some time ago - but I wanted to post the thread.

Objective

The owner started the restoration, and was off to a good start by securing a repro Addams Family playfield. The playfield was clearcoated by the same mob that cleared a very nice CFTBL that I did the same playfield swap some time ago. So the playfield was something that I did not need to worry too much about. The cabinet was re decalled by the owner, but he was not pleased with the headbox - so I had to strip off the decals and start over. The lower cabinet was very well done, so we made the decision to leave it and just work on the head box and playfield swap.

Starting point

The owner had already purchased a new door and playfield glass. I've removed the translite and put it aside.

I've placed the playfield into the rotisserie for the strip of the original playfield. It was partially stripped already.

Wear areas ;

Here's the Repro playfield after the clearcoat - looks AMAZING !

Reassembly of the topside of the playfield ;

NEW pop bumper parts added. EVERY single Addams Family I've ever seen has had broken assemblies. I don't bother re using the old parts. Just replace them - the game will play like new.

Chair and Swamp assemblies have been repaired (TIG Welded by Marty). All metal guides are regrained.

Stating to look very nice with the clear shining even when out of focus !

EVERYTHING under the playfield is cleaned, rebuilt or replaced. No short cuts here - this game will play like new.

As with all my work - EVERY moving part is rebuilt. The springs are compared with originals and most of the time, they are either the wrong spring, or they have lost their tension over time. Like the coil sleeves - they are cheaper to simply replace with the correct spring.

The apron was done by the owner - and the results are outstanding. New decals installed and clearcoated. We decided that a new plastics set was required, as the original would not match the playfield.

Cliffy post rubbers installed = huge difference.

Metal "Thing" ramp had corrosion and I sanded it down to metal, but it didn't look right.

New plastics and the bookcase decals made a huge difference.

End of Part 1 !

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
Re: The Addams Family - Playfield swap ?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 12:17:35 AM »
Just beautiful Nino, it looks brand new!

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 07:28:09 AM »
Wow, that looks sensational - love the under playfield look with all new and clean bits!

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 10:37:00 PM »
Lower cabinet was not part of the original scope, but we are flexible at APR - so I suggested we restore the inside of the cabinet to match the rest of the game = "Scope Creep"  %.%

Here are pictures of the original headbox. From a distance it was ok - but close up, it did need to be done again. I'm glad we did !

Removing NEW decals was kinda hard, but it was the finished product that I kept in mind as I removed the decals.. Then the imperfections are attended to prior to undercoating.

Finished headbox. It is the smaller things that matter - All the bolts are repainted and cleared.

Boards are cleaned and checked.

Inside the cabinet done

Headbox internals completed.

The game is finished off with NEW plastics set, Subwoofer kit and ColorDMD.

Genuine Pinball Inc / Starship Fantasy ramp installed. Basic LEDs added including all flashers.

Completed game under test. I have a HEAP of professional photos to add to this thread. Clearly the best Adams we have done and I'm VERY proud of this game. When owners allow me "full license" - this is the outcome !

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 07:46:25 AM »
Looks sensational mate!

Only thing is (not trying to nitpick here, but to me this an issue to protect the longevity of the game and help the customer) - why is the original battery holder still on the board?

Offline turbo27

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 08:37:12 AM »
Looks great  ^^^

Lots more pictures please - I have just sourced a TAF and it needs work! (will add images soon)

Any pictures will be greatly appreciated  *%*

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 09:21:26 AM »
Looks sensational mate!

Only thing is (not trying to nitpick here, but to me this an issue to protect the longevity of the game and help the customer) - why is the original battery holder still on the board?

Just reread this and  realised it could be perceived as bagging your work - definitely not what i intended!! It would read better if i asked if there was a reason why the battery holder was left on the MPU, rather than install a remote holder or lithium battery?

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 10:16:20 AM »
Looks great Nino

As for remote battery holders if you can't remember to swap batteries maybe it's time you give up on pinball.

Good in theory but definately not a must do upgrade

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Re:
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 10:20:47 AM »
Fair enough....its just a lot of people forget and then whinge when they have to shell out for repairs or replacement boards. I have also heard of a few incidents where new batteries have leaked 6 months down the track

Offline delarge

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
Re:
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2015, 10:33:34 AM »
That looks AWESOME! I've never completely stripped the underside of a playfield before. That would scare me. Haha

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2015, 10:56:06 AM »
Looks sensational mate!

Those photos are just of the boards cleaned - prior to any rework. I did change to a remote battery pack  ^^^

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2015, 11:02:28 AM »
Looks great gee TAF is a beautiful looking piece of art :)

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re:
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2015, 11:06:12 AM »
Fair enough....its just a lot of people forget and then whinge when they have to shell out for repairs or replacement boards. I have also heard of a few incidents where new batteries have leaked 6 months down the track

Hahaha point proven Rob so glad you said that. People who can't remember to change there batteries unable to do there own repairs then complain about the money lol.      Story of my life

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
Re:
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2015, 11:29:44 AM »

[/quote]

Hahaha point proven Rob so glad you said that. People who can't remember to change there batteries unable to do there own repairs then complain about the money lol.      Story of my life
[/quote]
If it isn't  broke, it isn't pinball!  *%*
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Re:
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2015, 05:14:59 PM »

Thats it!  Then they carry on so much, they make you feel like its almost your fault that they didn't change the batteries!  I have been to places where i drove 45 mins each way, charged them $30 for my trouble (normally adjusting switches, resoldering wires, all fairly straight forward stuff) and they still complain about it....and there is no way they would consider shelling out $10 for 4 or 5 new balls.