Author Topic: GI problem with the T2  (Read 712 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
GI problem with the T2
« on: June 21, 2011, 08:55:44 PM »
Arnie is really pissing me as I'm also busy trying to unpack all these boxes. Pinney room coming along well but the T2 won't play ball with me since I got him back.

The left GI lamps are dead. Checked F106 ok, checked J120 and found a wire hanging out but this is for the right GI.

Is it possible for someone to post the pinouts for J120 & J121 just in case the wiring is incorrect? Also any ideas on the steps to take in troubleshooting. As stated, F106 ok, connectors look ok, couldn't quickly see any wires off not the lamps.

And my pin repair stuff is somewhere??? So a few points to check and test would be great
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Marty Machine

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: GI problem with the T2
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 12:02:57 AM »
I think there's a wire swap going on?

If the right-side GI's work, but you think the wire hanging out is the right GI, then it must crossover somewhere coz the right GI's wouldnt be working, yet the left GI's don't work.

I'd have to say that 'right' wire(as you think) will bring the 'left' side back to life.

MM

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 01:45:40 AM »
I think there's a wire swap going on?

If the right-side GI's work, but you think the wire hanging out is the right GI, then it must crossover somewhere coz the right GI's wouldnt be working, yet the left GI's don't work.

I'd have to say that 'right' wire(as you think) will bring the 'left' side back to life.

MM

While you are a bit left field on this one, it actually does sound about right.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 12:15:07 PM »
Sorry guys for the poor explaination on my behalf (English is my second language next to stupidity)

The wire was half out of the connector. So when I put it out completely the right hand string went out. It was just on first observation I thought I got lucky and saw the wire out and that would have been the problem. Sadly I wasn't that lucky. I've looked at the manual and the pinouts don't seem to match what I have and so would like to check with another T2 owner as a precaution.

That GI's have worked in the past so wiring was not an issue. I just don't know whether a wire has come out while at my son's home and he had reseated it in the wrong pin location or not?

thanks for your thoughts so far

Marty Machine

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 12:38:24 PM »
Fair enuff....

Assuming the left+right side GI's dont flash independantly? and that all GI's are usually on together (or flash together), try this:

Grab a multimeter, and measure continuity between the known good pin (right side) and all other pins on the same connector, to find 'the other' GI volts pin....i'd assume it'd be right next to the 'working' pin????

This would be easier than pulling the board out to look at the copper tracks on the back ;-)

MM.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 06:06:01 PM »

Take a photo Rob and post it here. GI (J120 and J121) are mostly the same. Just tell us what color the wire is that is loose.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 06:32:28 PM »
Rob,

As others have suggested, have a good inspection of J120, J121 and J115 (with game off and unplugged from the wall).

Check your IDC connectors, look for brown or burn marks on them.  ALso inspect the header pins on the driver board.  Look for any burn marks on the white (turns yellow) or burn marks on the actual driver board.

Finally - in the lower section of the cab, you'll see a loom and plug coming off the transformer (yellow & yellow/white).  Again with the game off and unplugged (of course) reseat this plug half a dozen times and see how that goes?

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 09:32:52 PM »
Thanks MM I buzzed the connectors and all good. Thanks Nino for answering my next question as to what is the difference between J120 & J121 as this stuffed me a little reading the manual and found the connectors were connected to the wrong headers. Changed them around with no fix to the problem. Checked the connectors and cabinet plug (thanks Marty) and they looked fine. I figured the pcb may be the problem in that a solder joint may be cracked as the headers look ok and these two connectors are a real struggle to remove. So plugged them back in as originally and all GI's work. Arnie hates me!!!

So I'm guessing bad header pin connection. What do you think. If that's the case I'll make a note and attend to it after getting the house in order.

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 09:36:57 PM »
If it were me Rob, I'd change out the connectors.  They only have a 'limited' life span of plugging on / off and the IDC do have issues with age.

I think the T2 is trying to tell you it wants a Diner parked next to it!  &&

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 11:41:29 PM »
Mate I hear where you're coming from but I'm strapped for cash now. Just got my driveway bill for $20K which is $5K over budget. The west is full of rocks. After the rock breaker bill I'm thinking of buying one and should make a killing here  @@*

Marty Machine

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 12:01:48 AM »
IF you goto jail, you can break rocks there for free  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 11:43:46 AM »
the WPC driver / power board has 5 G.I. circuits, you will find J120 & J121 have the same pin outs, (I.E. pin 1 on J120 is the same circuit as pin 1 on J121)

What you need to do is have a look under the playfield and see what colour wires are going to the G.I.s that are not working (I.E. green + green & white or brown + brown & white, and so on)

Next check that those wires are connected to the correct pins on J120 or J121 (if you are not sure let me know what colour the wires are and i will let you know)

Next check that there is power on the corresponding pins to those wires with your multimeter set on ac.

If the wires are falling out of the plug as you have mentioned then you will need to replace the G.I. Plugs and sockets that are on the power driver board and G.I wires . (every wpc machine i have worked on has needed these plugs and sockets replaced)

On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 10:49:40 AM »
Thanks beaky. The wiring/pin outs are ok. What threw me was it didn't match up to the manual as the plugs were in the wrong headers. But now I know that isn't a problem. I'd like to change them around but I've got no sare time to stuff arond if the GI gies out again. I'll do it later when I replace the connectors.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 06:54:56 PM »
T2 lhs GI went off again while playing. Did lamp tests and also noticed back box flashers and rhs sling flasher dead. So as Marty said I think j115 s pissing me. My problem is how to change the plug to the molex as these wires are looped and look thicker than those on j120-121.

Offline Skybeaux

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Central Coast / Newcastle
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 10:02:10 AM »
I'll agree and say it's a pain when you've got to crimp 2 thicker wires into the one terminal.
What i do is use the molex trifurcon crimp pins , you then get the 2 wires into the pin and do the first crimp.
I then apply a tiny bit of flux ( electronics grade that's non-corrosive or conductive ) and put some solder onto the crimp i've just done to hold the wires firmly in there , then i do the second crimp over the insulated parts of the wire.
I've found that if you don't put the solder on the first crimp then when you do the second crimp the wires pull out of the first.

Have patience ,take your time and you'll get it done no worries *%*
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 09:47:37 AM by Skybeaux »