Author Topic: Gottlieb Rocky cabnet stencils?  (Read 954 times)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Gottlieb Rocky cabnet stencils?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 05:40:48 PM »
thank you for your responces, they are very helpfull

so my options are leave it as is and it looks pretty crappy in a few areas because the playfeild is black and it looks quite a bit lighter in the bubbled areas

or

tyr to prick the bubbles and flatten them down or heat with a hair drier and hope. What are the possible consequences if i try to repar these areas, im just trying to gauge the risk to reward ratio of this reapar

There is one other option but you have to be prepared for the worst, you can remove the mylar, using a hairdryer then clean the residue with shellite but you could endup pulling a lot of paint with it.  You would need to be prepared to do some touchup work and clear coat or lay down some new mylar.

Is there anyone who has done mylar removal on a Sys80?  I cannot remember if Nicks HH had mylar or not.  To be honest, unless its terrible and / or effecting gameplay I'd leave it.  The chances of ever getting a Rocky playfield are next to nil.  If you want it to be perfect, you may need to strip and send to a professional for removal, touchups and clearcoating.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 05:57:43 PM »
I removed the mylar/ contact on Amazing Spiderman... came off real easy

Offline rocky_pinball

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • ROOOOOOOOOOOOOCCKKKYYYYY BAAAAAAAABBBBOA
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2011, 10:28:16 PM »
the mylar bubbles dont affect game play, and i dont think im too keen on removing it all i think it would be one big pain in the arse, i do however have a playfeild drawing, so if anything ever happens to it i should be ok. i was just interested to see what others though may be a good way of fixing these little annoynaces, i think im leaning towards pricking it and releacing all the air in it and hoping it  sticks down again. If it doesnt stick down as per factory it wont increase the wear in that area will it?

Offline wonder

• Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2011, 10:22:47 AM »
Have a NOS playfield that i can scan, so can make a overlay for any damage area that need doing if required.
pharaoh blackglass <br />blackknight project<br />NOS Playfields

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2011, 10:54:10 AM »
thank you for your responces, they are very helpfull

so my options are leave it as is and it looks pretty crappy in a few areas because the playfeild is black and it looks quite a bit lighter in the bubbled areas

or

tyr to prick the bubbles and flatten them down or heat with a hair drier and hope. What are the possible consequences if i try to repar these areas, im just trying to gauge the risk to reward ratio of this reapar

There is one other option but you have to be prepared for the worst, you can remove the mylar, using a hairdryer then clean the residue with shellite but you could endup pulling a lot of paint with it.  You would need to be prepared to do some touchup work and clear coat or lay down some new mylar.

Is there anyone who has done mylar removal on a Sys80?  I cannot remember if Nicks HH had mylar or not.  To be honest, unless its terrible and / or effecting gameplay I'd leave it.  The chances of ever getting a Rocky playfield are next to nil.  If you want it to be perfect, you may need to strip and send to a professional for removal, touchups and clearcoating.

Most of the SYS80's I've worked on have had factory laser cut mylar. Thick and durable. I've never attempted a removal, but I want to remove the mylar on one of my Spirits which I plan to have clearcoated. I'm not looking forward to removing it.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline rocky_pinball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2011, 09:43:52 PM »
Hi everyone

ive gone and done the prick and press down method, and its worked a treat, looking much better now! thank you for your help, i didnt even think of this method!

whilst i was looking to buy a manual for my game i stumbled across a website which has quite a large list of digital copys of pinball manuals avaliable for free download, im not sure if it legal but i thought i would share it :)
its web adress is:-

http://arcarc.xmission.com/Pinball/PDF%20Pinball%20Manuals%20and%20Schematics/

i ended up buying a copy, but this digital copy may come in handy in the mean time.

Other question i wanted to ask, is does anybody have/make plastics for Gottlieb's Rocky. Im not able to find them for sale anywhere? if anybody has some scans of the plastics, i might even have a go at remaking them myself, i been doing some reading and it dosent seem too hard to remake them. I would scan my own but my are pretty far gone, craked, chiped etc
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 09:57:13 PM by rocky_pinball »

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2011, 10:05:46 PM »
GREAT NEWS Im glad the prick a press method worked for you saves a lot of work and risk associated with mylar removal.  Well done

Im sure someone here will be able to help out with your plastics ^^^

Offline rocky_pinball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2011, 10:10:52 PM »
Thanks mate, i wasnt at all keen on removing the mylar, i could see myself stripping all of the paint right off it, im very happy this worked

Thanks for your imput, i never even thought of this method, it was quick and painless :)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2011, 10:33:34 AM »
Hi everyone

ive gone and done the prick and press down method, and its worked a treat, looking much better now! thank you for your help, i didnt even think of this method!

whilst i was looking to buy a manual for my game i stumbled across a website which has quite a large list of digital copys of pinball manuals avaliable for free download, im not sure if it legal but i thought i would share it :)
its web adress is:-

http://arcarc.xmission.com/Pinball/PDF%20Pinball%20Manuals%20and%20Schematics/

i ended up buying a copy, but this digital copy may come in handy in the mean time.

Other question i wanted to ask, is does anybody have/make plastics for Gottlieb's Rocky. Im not able to find them for sale anywhere? if anybody has some scans of the plastics, i might even have a go at remaking them myself, i been doing some reading and it dosent seem too hard to remake them. I would scan my own but my are pretty far gone, craked, chiped etc

Pinball Resource used to have NOS (New Old Stock) plastics sets, but I think they are well and truly sold out.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline tonyt

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2011, 10:42:56 AM »

I suggest that you email PBR as I am chasing a set myself. They said quite a while ago that if they got enough demand they may do a run of them.

Offline wonder

• Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2011, 01:08:31 PM »
Finally dug out the playfield for scanning which i should be able to start this weekend.Will be chasing a set of rocky plastic as well so that makes three set just on he.

Wonder how many set they need to do a rerun of them. !@#
pharaoh blackglass <br />blackknight project<br />NOS Playfields

Offline rocky_pinball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2011, 01:30:24 PM »
Thanks wonder, its much appreciated :)

i just emailed PBR and i guess we will just have to wait and see if they will do a re run of their plastics, i can only hope so :)

How long ago did they have them, did i just miss out or has it been a few years?