Author Topic: Adjusting an image scan for decal / overlay  (Read 778 times)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Adjusting an image scan for decal / overlay
« on: January 11, 2009, 12:28:28 PM »
Hi guys,

This is a question for the image gurus out there.  This is a two fold question - one for the T2 and one for the PF.  I have a scan of a plastic (Columbian one) which I intend to use to repair a plastic on the PF for myself.  I've watched Darksoul's DVD (from AA) and intend to use that method.  BUT I've printed it out once onto the clear sheets however it is way bigger than what it should be..

The second part is - I've also obtained a picture of an area which I need to make an insert decal on my T2 (of a mint T2 pf! - big thanks to that member).  There is only a small section - the size of a insert x 2 that I need.  I can get access to a machine with photoshop on it, and delete the bits I don't need, but how can I make it the right size for the insert - which is important as it lines up with bits on the PF.

My skills with photoshop are about equal to my skills in ms paint - probably a 2 out of 10.  Any advise would be appreciated.    ^&^

Offline 63wizz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
Re: Adjusting an image scan for decal / overlay
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 04:15:09 PM »
the last lot of decals i printed, i pasted them into a word document, and from there clicked on print preview
you can re size the imaje, take note of the size at the top of the window, print in black and white until you get the size right
when you get the size right change settings for colour print.

cheers Ian

added... when you print your test prints do them on normal paper, cut them out and try them in there intended position, then resize and try again if size is incorrect.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 04:19:56 PM by 63wizz »

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 07:37:17 PM »
Thanks Ian,

I've had a play with photoshop and cut the bits for the Terminator out....I've put them into word, and your suggestion will work great...

Tomorrow I will hook up my b&w printer and start having a play.

Offline 63wizz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 08:41:25 PM »
you should be able to go into printer properties and select gray scale printing, when you have finished resizing select colour printing again.
not sure but it would be best if all done on the same printer.

cheers Ian.

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 08:36:44 AM »
I have also found that images created in Photoshop can be opened with Paint and the size is automatically the same as the Photoshop file.
So, if you get your Photoshop file size correct first then it will translate into Paint at the same size without the need for any re-sizing / guesswork. Remember, you will have to export your file as a jpeg to save it so it will show on a PC that doesn’t have Photoshop installed.
So – firstly save it as a PSD file on YOUR PC ( for working on it in the future ) then export it as a jpeg so it will be viewable/printable from ANY other PC

For sizing, are you aware that you can have Photoshop show you ‘rulers’ on the side and across the top of your workspace?
That way you can pretty much get the size right from the get-go as you can drag ‘guide lines’ onto your workspace to ensure your image is correct to the closest mm.
From memory, you click options and tick ‘rulers’ – if that doesn’t work, PM me and I will check how to do it again and let you know.

You MAY have issues getting colours correct as colours on a PC screen can vary GREATLY from what comes out of a printer.
Once I have my sizes right, I often have to print about 20-30 colour variations to get the colours correct or even close.
So I create the file at home in Photoshop, also save it as a jpeg 20 or 30 times on my memory stick bring the colour variations to work on a stick and print it at work by opening the files in Paint then once I have my colour correct I change my original PSD file to THAT colour at home and print my final copy at home.

Hope this helps, PM me if you want help.
DW Drums rule !

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 05:38:06 PM »
I've had a play with my images after photoshopping.  I've inserted image into word, printed a couple test pages - bit of a tickle in size and seemed pretty good.  I test a test print onto the clear label stuff.  I cut it out and stuck it over the top of mylar in place - just as a test.  Now, no white 'printed' out - as the backing sheet was white it looked 100% but as soon as I removed it, it looked worse.  I may need some further advise in relation to this  !@#

I have also found that images created in Photoshop can be opened with Paint and the size is automatically the same as the Photoshop file.
So, if you get your Photoshop file size correct first then it will translate into Paint at the same size without the need for any re-sizing / guesswork. Remember, you will have to export your file as a jpeg to save it so it will show on a PC that doesn’t have Photoshop installed.
So – firstly save it as a PSD file on YOUR PC ( for working on it in the future ) then export it as a jpeg so it will be viewable/printable from ANY other PC

For sizing, are you aware that you can have Photoshop show you ‘rulers’ on the side and across the top of your workspace?
That way you can pretty much get the size right from the get-go as you can drag ‘guide lines’ onto your workspace to ensure your image is correct to the closest mm.
From memory, you click options and tick ‘rulers’ – if that doesn’t work, PM me and I will check how to do it again and let you know.

You MAY have issues getting colours correct as colours on a PC screen can vary GREATLY from what comes out of a printer.
Once I have my sizes right, I often have to print about 20-30 colour variations to get the colours correct or even close.
So I create the file at home in Photoshop, also save it as a jpeg 20 or 30 times on my memory stick bring the colour variations to work on a stick and print it at work by opening the files in Paint then once I have my colour correct I change my original PSD file to THAT colour at home and print my final copy at home.

Hope this helps, PM me if you want help.

I need to get some calipers (measuring type) from bunnings to get accurate readings, and I will try this method next.!

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 08:53:38 PM »
Hey Marty - heres an example of the rulers ( pink arrows pointing at them ) and the guides you can use to square off/ measure a certain area. You go to View and tick Rulers and they appear - then you put your layer tool ( top right tool in the toolbox ) on the ruler , click and drag out the blue guides.Thats how I do things and I am happy to explain stuff to you by email if it helps you at all.

Now - this aint the perfect picture to work from as it is on an angle - this is just giving you an idea of one way to use P'shop. What I do is physically measure that square out on the PF ( around the 2 triangel ) and then make my Photoshop image at those sizes - This is not a perfect example as the image was taken on an angle - just hopefully gives you an idea. I use it and it works OK. There may be better P'shop advice out there somewhere !@#

DW Drums rule !

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 10:26:17 PM »
I'm impressed with your photoshop skills.  I will endeavour to have a play at work tomorrow or Wed...

I've been thinking about the white problem as listed above....In order to get it right, to I need to adhere the clear to the white vinyl, cut out the bits I don't need with a sharp scaple then apply?