Author Topic: Almost there....(Nitro Ground Shaker)  (Read 409 times)

Offline vinito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
Almost there....(Nitro Ground Shaker)
« on: January 12, 2009, 06:19:56 AM »
It's coming together and I'm almost there.

I've been working on my brother's NGS for a while now and passed a landmark leap this past week. Got the MPU to quit locking up. I've cleaned it all up and replaced broken parts - general shop job. It did clean up nicely, though the playfield has the standard insert wear on the bonus inserts "V" tree in the middle. It's cleaned and waxed so maybe that will minimize future wear.

I was going to get into burning my own sound rom to replace the one that came with it (it was for a different game), but that didn't work out so I ordered one from J. Wart and it arrived yesterday. It works too!

It's a great art package, but the game play doesn't really grab me. Sure it's fun - it IS pinball after all - but not "ground-shaking" fun. I won't mind handing it off to my brother and reclaiming the space in my living room.

Now I just have to troubleshoot a few feature lights that don't come on and the thing will be done. Woohoo!

I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Almost there....(Nitro Ground Shaker)
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 09:39:39 AM »

Good job there Vinito.

NGS is an interesting title. For some reason (I think it is the art), the game is sought after here in Australia, and a couple NGS fetched unbelievable eBay prices.. I can't recall playing one, but they really look good !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline vinito

• Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 10:59:42 AM »
Yea, it might be the art. It's the best pinball art in my house hands-down. The game play isn't bad really and the sounds are kinda fun. Has that early SS vibe to it and it's not boringly easy.

I just got done troubleshooting the feature light problems. All of them were broken clips in the connectors - piece o' cake.
As a bonus I cleaned up the coin mechs and made sure they worked since my brother plans to keep it coin-operated rather them free play, which adds to the fun in his opinion and I can see that.

The game really gleams now compared to it's as-bought state, and it's 100% functional and adjusted up nice. Pretty snappy!

One more pic:
I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 11:14:20 AM »
Really nice job you did there on a classic Bally SS. Well done!

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 05:55:49 PM »
***LOVE*** that backglass!!!  #.#
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”