Author Topic: ToM on fire!!  (Read 820 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
Re: ToM on fire!!
« on: January 14, 2009, 09:43:16 AM »
had a good think about the pcb last night and conclusion is changing battery not the cause. I think this is an inherent probelms with the pcb. A bit of background on this pcb. After short time of purchase GI#2 (back board lights) went down and tech came to fix. Had no problems until long while later I noticed one globe missing and replaced it. No problems. Then one day I left the machine running for lets say 3-4 hours and then noticed GI#2 out.

I then posted on AA the problem and could not solve it. So got a tech in who couldn't solve it on site. Was reported to be a bad solder joint on F109. Machine has worked fine until now some say 2 months. BUT....the machine is only on for short bursts of say a game or two at a time. On Saturday night I had a party and all my machines were on for at least 5 hours or so.

I reckon ToM was slowly cooking and everyone was too tanked to notice. So when I replaced the batteries last night ToM fried a bit more until she started smoking a bit. Like I say its was still working ok prior to switching it off last night but I'm guessing she'd continue to fry until GI#2 goes again.

So any ideas on what could be sending so much heat down the line?

I notice there are a couple of heavy gauge wire fixes going to J120-8 & F109 (opposite to burnt end) also J120-7 & F110 making me think this problem is not a first timer. You can see one of these wires in my picture above that goes to F109 (green). What's your ideas?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 09:44:52 AM by pinball god »
Still loving my Metallica Premium