Author Topic: Best way to wire flippers? Advice needed?  (Read 381 times)

Offline mgjock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Best way to wire flippers? Advice needed?
« on: January 14, 2009, 02:28:36 AM »
Best way to wire flippers? Advice needed?

Hi,

I am attempting to install a new flipper coil.. I need to solder the wires onto the new flipper coil. What is the best way to do the wiring onto the coil?

When there is two wires to solder onto one lug of the coil, should I first twirl the two wires together and then solder it on or should I solder each wire separately to the same lug?

Also, should I thread the wires through the slit (hole) in the lug before soldering them or should I lay the wires flat onto the lug?

Is there a best way of doing the wiring?

Any feddback would be helpful

Thanks

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: Best way to wire flippers? Advice needed?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 08:03:26 AM »
I do it the simple way. For the single wire, heat the stripped end of the wire and allow some solder to flow onto it. I do the same to the lug. Then rest the wire against the lug and touch the iron to the wire so the solder melts again, and flows into the solder on the lug which will have started to melt as well. Hold steady while it sets (blow a little onto the joint to speed it up). For the pair of wires, I twist the wires together first, flow solder onto the twisted pair, then do the same as for the single wire. Sometimes you will need a little more heat now that the mass of solder is greater on the pair. Sometimes there are three wires (on the ground side) and threading them through the hole just isn't possible. Probably no reason not to thread the single (or pair if they fit) in the hole before final soldering, I've seen that done regularly enough.

Doing a pair or three "one at a time" won't work as the first will just come away as you heat the wire/lug for the second one etc.

If anyone has a better way be glad to hear as I always wonder if I'm doing it right!  :)
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 10:42:57 AM »
I do it the simple way. For the single wire, heat the stripped end of the wire and allow some solder to flow onto it. I do the same to the lug. Then rest the wire against the lug and touch the iron to the wire so the solder melts again, and flows into the solder on the lug which will have started to melt as well. Hold steady while it sets (blow a little onto the joint to speed it up). For the pair of wires, I twist the wires together first, flow solder onto the twisted pair, then do the same as for the single wire. Sometimes you will need a little more heat now that the mass of solder is greater on the pair. Sometimes there are three wires (on the ground side) and threading them through the hole just isn't possible. Probably no reason not to thread the single (or pair if they fit) in the hole before final soldering, I've seen that done regularly enough.

Doing a pair or three "one at a time" won't work as the first will just come away as you heat the wire/lug for the second one etc.

If anyone has a better way be glad to hear as I always wonder if I'm doing it right!  :)

Great description Nick !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 06:42:18 PM »
i hold certification in mil spec wiring and would never just lay the wire onto the lug.if you can you should at least have a mechanical joint aswell. folding the  pre-tinned wire(s) over the edge of the lug.this also holds the wire in place so you have two hands to solder.one to hold the iron and one to feed in solder to the joint.
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 06:46:42 PM »
Nick,

You couldn't of worded that any better  ^^^

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 10:45:03 PM »
i hold certification in mil spec wiring and would never just lay the wire onto the lug.if you can you should at least have a mechanical joint aswell. folding the  pre-tinned wire(s) over the edge of the lug.this also holds the wire in place so you have two hands to solder.one to hold the iron and one to feed in solder to the joint.
You make a valid point, I always struggle trying to hold the wire, feed solder and solder at the same time. When I have this problem I use the wife to hold the wire...note that's the part that usually gets hot after awhile LOL
Still loving my Metallica Premium