Author Topic: Coil Sleeves  (Read 358 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
Coil Sleeves
« on: January 15, 2009, 05:21:10 PM »
I have been converted to changing coil sleeves regularly as of now. For me and any newbies, I struggled to get a sleeve out of one coil. Had to absolutley destroy the thing and then the new sleeve went in hard and damaged it trying to tap it in further. I had a new coil and put that on instead. But what does it say for the old coil, is it still useful or when a sleeve is basically welded in place? I appreciate the new sleeve I tried to put in may have been the wrong one, I haven't checked with the manual yet (it was your standard flipper one and this was for the FL11722 coil) I put the same sleeve on my swep1 FL-11722 without any problem)

this question I think would be useful to put in the memory banks for the future if I encounter the same situation. Thanks
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Coil Sleeves
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 06:13:24 PM »

Generally speaking with flipper coils - they do get warm under certain conditions. The main condition is heat caused buy the EOS not being gapped or the EOS wire falling off the switch or coil.

Sometimes, the coil can develop internal shorts after overheating. The fuse should blow.

If the coil measures correctly in both windings - you can assume the coil is still good - even if the coil sleeve was damaged from heat. If the NEW coil sleeve cannot be inserted - then the coil can be discarded or rewound.

Check the diodes on the coils as well - they are a cheap part.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 10:19:56 PM »
Been there, done that - in my case it was EOS needing adjusting after moving the pinball machine. Also, the fuse I put in turned out to be over-rated and so allowed the coil to overheat, melting the sleeve internally.

Offline Ballywannabe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 10:52:16 PM »
IF you are confident that the coil is OK, then go to Bunnings (or similar) and get a reamer of the right size.  Use this to get a bit more room in the coil and put a new sleeve in.  A quick and dirty is to clean inside the coil as best you can, coat the inside with silicon spray and whack the coil sleeve in with a sharp tap from a block of wood or similar.

cheers
Ian