Author Topic: Soldering stations  (Read 997 times)

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Yass
Soldering stations
« on: January 16, 2009, 12:33:33 PM »
Hi All,

Im thinking of buying a soldering station this weekend so im looking for hints and tips on what i should avoid or snap up. What sort of costs am i looking at for something thats not going to brake the first time i use it etc.

Thanks Guys

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Soldering stations
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 12:53:51 PM »
I got my adjustable one from DSE which has worked well, but I've just purchased a solder / desolder station....  The one from DSE cost about $70 from memory.

I think Nino would be best to give advise here!

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 03:38:03 PM »

I have old Solder Stations - An ancient ROYEL station (25 years +) with two irons and a desoldering wand - but it needs to be connected to a compressor.

My Weller of 10 years died 3 months ago - So I'm in the market for a new station.

The key is to find an Iron you are comfortable with that stocks tips. Irons are useless if they have no Tips ! Hakko are the best and Weller are excellent to use for Pinball. DSE and Jaycar sell their own brands - and I hear they are quite good.

Adjustable temperature stations are a must if you want to do board work !

I hope that helps.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 05:46:41 PM »

I have old Solder Stations - An ancient ROYEL station (25 years +) with two irons and a desoldering wand - but it needs to be connected to a compressor.

My Weller of 10 years died 3 months ago - So I'm in the market for a new station.

The key is to find an Iron you are comfortable with that stocks tips. Irons are useless if they have no Tips ! Hakko are the best and Weller are excellent to use for Pinball. DSE and Jaycar sell their own brands - and I hear they are quite good.

Adjustable temperature stations are a must if you want to do board work !

I hope that helps.

The DSE one I bought was purely as a replacement for the standard $6.00 one from bunnings (non adjustable) which was junk.  Absolute sound advise re the temp controlled stations.  I quite enjoy board repair, so for next project I have also picked up a PCB holder with component holder as well.
I've borrowed a small little Bluepoint butane iron as well.  Handy if just soldering wires to coils or globes in those spots where you're standing on three legs with a 180deg twist in your back..!

I should get my new station next week.  Not having anything to compare to I don't know if its good or junk but well see!

Offline vinito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 06:28:04 PM »
I hunted, scrounged and patiently assembled my Hakko soldering rig over several weeks. It cost less than $200 US by the time I got it all working, but for what I got that is extremely inexpensive I think.
There's a post about it here:
http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=136.msg3557#msg3557

This company is in USA so probably not on your list anyways, but it's just chinese cheap import stuff and I'm sure the same stuff is sold somewhere near you:
http://store.sra-solder.com/index.php

This cheap stuff looks good for the price, and I found the parts to be almost perfectly interchangeable with Hakko, but it is definitely NOT Hakko quality. It's billed to be temperature control and it doesn't even have a temperature sensor, so be very cautious when buying clones. Prolly better than a hack iron from the local department store. But having used the good stuff now, I can tell the difference in terms of how well it works immediately, which means something less will not perform as well.

I would recommend the obvious, which is to get the best soldering equipment you can afford, or maybe spend even a little more than you can afford. It just makes you feel warm & fuzzy to use the good tools.

P.S. Oh, yea. Your mileage may vary, but I have never needed two soldering handpieces and don't know when having the two would actually come in handy. Guys with better skills can speak to that. One really nice soldering station and a Hakko 808 might be a good way to go.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 03:20:49 AM by vinito »
I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 07:49:46 PM »
I broke a power wire off in my soldering station. Don't think I'll bother fixing it though, it's junk. Sat there for hours after I broke the power lead trying to solder it back on, damn thing won't heat up. Junk, I tell you! 
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 09:38:28 PM »
I broke a power wire off in my soldering station. Don't think I'll bother fixing it though, it's junk. Sat there for hours after I broke the power lead trying to solder it back on, damn thing won't heat up. Junk, I tell you! 

LOL!!! Just chuck it out mate - is a battle of wills. If it refuses to be a soldering station anymore then hammer fodder it must become

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 09:44:38 PM »
This is the unit I'm getting...

http://www.jaycar.com/productView.asp?URL=index&ID=TS1574&CATID=29&SUBCATID=425

Its not from Jaycar, but cheaper than that too.  Its only an entry level unit - but for a weekend hack like myself hopefully it will be OK....I couldn't justify buying a Weller or more expensive station for a part time hobbiest...If I was using it full time, no question.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 09:52:44 PM »
looks OK,

$164 - price from Jaycar???  MY Weller only cost $170

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 10:03:04 PM »
looks OK,

$164 - price from Jaycar???  MY Weller only cost $170

Wow...Is that just a soldering station or desoldering as well?  I thought a Weller station like that would be $800+...

This one looks pretty flash..

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Pace-MBT-250A-SOLDERING-DESOLDERING-STATION-250_W0QQitemZ370144017855QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_15?hash=item370144017855&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Not sure how being Military spec would make it worth any more?

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 10:57:21 PM »
oops - my mistake,

Just saw that the jaycar was a desolder also - my Weller is just a temp variable soldering iron. didnt mean to get you all excited!

In fact $164 from Jaycar - ill be up for one of those - im SO PISSED OFF using a solder sucker!

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 11:41:52 PM »
i kept clicking from one to the other to justify the doubling of costs.

Basically - you have a 10W difference between the 2, one has better heat transfer than the other, but once its up to temp - it makes no difference whatsoever - time is the only issue - what we talking about here?? 3 mins tops??

Mate - for $50 compared to $100 id go the cheaper option

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 11:50:18 PM »
excellent! thanks for the info

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 12:21:06 AM »

don't get too excited, folks... The Jaycar Iron was in US Dollars...

https://secure.vividcluster.crox.net.au/jaycar2005/productResults.asp?FORM=KEYWORD

Now it is in Aussie $$$
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia