Author Topic: Space inavaders pinball problem?  (Read 325 times)

Offline mgjock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Space inavaders pinball problem?
« on: January 22, 2009, 09:57:32 PM »
Space inavaders pinball problem?

I have a space invaders pinball that works fine except for the fact that every now and then it resets itself mid game at random for no reason. Also, it sometimes tilts itself mid game without me moving or knocking the machine. These events do not happen all the time but only every now and then and at random. any help with regards to the problem or how to fix it would be appreciated?

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Space inavaders pinball problem?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 10:05:06 PM »
Something like this is normally a connector or chip socket fault. Data bus drops out for just a millisecond, data is then lost and so game resets itself

Offline mgjock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 10:42:17 PM »
is this something that easy easily located and fixed or do i need to replace the main circuit board?

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 11:06:34 PM »
No - no need to replace a board. Resit all your chips and see if the problem goes away.
Take off the conncetors one by one and resit.
Also when the game is on give the connectors a wiggle and see if the game resets itself. if it does then halleluyah! Youve found the faulty connector. problem with intermittent faults is that when its working OK - there is nothing to fix!

If you really wanted to - you could replace all connectors

Online Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 11:26:00 PM »

In addition to Gavin's suggestions, the Solenoid Driver board probably has an old 5Vdc Capacitor (C23). It is the big capacitor. These develop a problem where they do not supply a stable +5V to the MPU. Another consideration is the MPU board. If there is any sign of corrosion around the bottom left hand side of this board, then the reset section will be unstable.

Another suggestion would be the diode on the start button can sometime short against the door. Check that as well.

Back to the connectors - Top RHS connector on the Solenoid Driver Board - J5 - Give it a wiggle during a game. There could be a broken connector pin.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline dj10555

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 10:16:32 AM »
My Supersonic had a similar problem and I needed to clean the corrosion, replace all the old sockets on the CPU board and the C23 cap in order to get my game stable. I haven't had a problem since!