Author Topic: Side Rail Removal  (Read 986 times)

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
Side Rail Removal
« on: February 05, 2009, 11:48:34 PM »
Any tips on removing side rail rivets before i wreck it with my long screwdriver & hammer  !)# - havent removed or refitted one yet.
Millsy
pinballaustralia.com

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Yass
Re: Side Rail Removal
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 11:50:21 PM »
+1 mate!!! my arcade cab is almost done and i wanna fix up gulfstreams cab and i really wanna know how to lift off the siderails too!!!

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 12:31:26 AM »

I've done this successfully a few times.

Depending on the age of the machines, they can be easy. The side rail nails are cheap, so I remove them with the full intent of damaging the old nails, not the side rails !

I use a couple of thin pieces of metal (30 cm or 40 cm ruler). First slide the piece of metal in the gap between the siderail and the body near the flipper button. GENTLY prize the side rail away from the body by twisting the piece of metal. DON'T prize the ruler AWAY from the body - you will bend the siderail - Just TWIST the ruler like the accelerator on a motor bike. The FIRST nail head should raise. I HOPE it has raised ! Now initially try an old pair of side cutters, and TWIST the nail counter clockwise - CAREFULLY. It MIGHT twist out - remember - they have a thread.

Continue along the entire siderail. But now you approach the nails from the bottom of the cab.

The aim is to not touch or bend the siderail.

Sometimes, the nails might be rusted, or just won't move out without more force. Be patient. Use a thin piece of metal NEXT to the nail, and a thin screwdriver and prize the nail out - but the golden rule is NOT to touch the siderail with ANYTHING sharp. Always place something there as protection.

I hope that sounds right !

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 12:42:41 AM »
Well described - Didnt realise the pins screwed out - would have bent the rail for sure.
Thanks for the tip  ^^^
pinballaustralia.com

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 02:04:34 AM »
I use the same technique as Nino but always start from the back of the machine as i find the first to be the hardest.

The nail has only to be lifted very slightly, then with a set of nail removing pliers you can grip just under the head and twist out anti clockwise.

New nails look a treat!

Offline Jomac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 04:14:30 AM »
Once you have the Nails / Screws out,

Hold the rail ( I start from the front )with some pressure pulling out and up at the same time while heating up rail with a hair dryer , You can get them quite hot without damaging anything as long as you apply the heat directly on the rail , I have taken many off all types of pinball's without even bending them using this method.
A heat gun will also work but you need to be very careful as the heat from these is very intense and can damage art work on the cab , not to mention burn your hands real easy:)

Remember if you are any good with metal work , you can make many ramp protectors and Stainless parts from a single old rail.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 10:18:20 AM »

Hold the rail ( I start from the front )with some pressure pulling out and up at the same time while heating up rail with a hair dryer , You can get them quite hot without damaging anything as long as you apply the heat directly on the rail , I have taken many off all types of pinball's without even bending them using this method.
A heat gun will also work but you need to be very careful as the heat from these is very intense and can damage art work on the cab , not to mention burn your hands real easy:)

Remember if you are any good with metal work , you can make many ramp protectors and Stainless parts from a single old rail.

Joey

Do you use the heat method on the older (EMs etc), or are you reffering to the newer machines with adhesive backing ?

I ask as most of the games I've done are oldies.. and the siderails usually just fall off once the nails are out !

Another tip - When re installing the siderails, push a toothpick into the hole and snip it to add more "bite" for the new nail. Tap the nail in, don't BANG it in like a traditional nail.

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 10:31:45 AM »

we use heat on the newer ones  as stated  here
hair dryer or heat gun to heat them up and they pull off easy

we normally replace the nails as most of the heads are rusty
I have heaps of the nails too on psp

mark

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 02:40:52 PM »
I have removed rails via the old piano wire joined onto to a couple of handles trick (in this case paint rollers) and pull. Peels them off real easily without heat or damage to the rail.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 03:27:09 PM »
That's a good tip. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Jomac

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 01:58:41 AM »

Joey

Do you use the heat method on the older (EMs etc), or are you reffering to the newer machines with adhesive backing ?

I ask as most of the games I've done are oldies.. and the siderails usually just fall off once the nails are out !

Another tip - When re installing the siderails, push a toothpick into the hole and snip it to add more "bite" for the new nail. Tap the nail in, don't BANG it in like a traditional nail.

I use this method on any that have adhesive back , Man that stuff sticks !!

Yeah your right about the old ones that usually just fall off :)

The piano wire method is also cool but a couple of times the wire dug into the edge of the cabinet , not that you see it once the rail is replaced

Marty Machine

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 05:43:39 PM »
Not sure if this helps? but once the nails are out, would it seem a good idea to drill in the nail-hole right thru the cabinet-side, therefore leaving you access in future to punch the nails out from the inside with a blunt tipped nail.

This would allow you to tap them out from the inside which eliminates all risks of damaging rails using the above-mentioned methods.

MM.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 11:16:06 PM »
Not sure if this helps? but once the nails are out, would it seem a good idea to drill in the nail-hole right thru the cabinet-side, therefore leaving you access in future to punch the nails out from the inside with a blunt tipped nail.

This would allow you to tap them out from the inside which eliminates all risks of damaging rails using the above-mentioned methods.

MM.

I would not recommend doing this as then you would see the holes from the playfield sides. They can be seen on EMs.

Marty Machine

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 12:32:54 AM »
I would not recommend doing this as then you would see the holes from the playfield sides. They can be seen on EMs.

Oh yeh  !@#
Ok, need to fit an inside covering then hehehehe.

Do any pins NOT use nails? would be a nicer finish if the rails were glued (removable) in place for a sleak looking finish and no ugly nailheads.

MM.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 06:52:04 PM »

Oh yeh  !@#
Ok, need to fit an inside covering then hehehehe.

Do any pins NOT use nails? would be a nicer finish if the rails were glued (removable) in place for a sleak looking finish and no ugly nailheads.

MM.

All EMs and SS with metal side rails have nails except DMDs - adhesive strip.