Author Topic: Williams Big Deal Restore  (Read 1870 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Williams Big Deal Restore - Strip !
« on: January 23, 2009, 12:11:57 AM »
Update - Strip the machine

As mentioned by a few of you - the game was already in great condition. Which is true - But have a look under the bonnet ! There are metal shards all over the place, and all the fuses are blown or blown off the fuse panel. Very ugly. It would be stupid to try and get the game working prior to removing any conductive material from the baseboard.

Question - From the pictures of the baseboard - any idea as to WHAT may have happened ?

Have a close look - there is a clue or two

Right - So the baseboard has to be removed and cleaned with an air compressor. In the end, I opted to remove each stepper unit and rebuild them (covered a bit later on in the thread). The playfield and baseboard are removed for attention. The rest of the machine is stripped completely, and each section will be cleaned. Theres not much fade in the cabinet, so I was VERY pleased with that.

BTW - These initial pictures are from the storage building that all the machines were stored in when I had them given to me. I might have a look if I can find some VERY early pictures shortly after I dusted all of them down. There was an original BALLY box (paragon, Spacies, KISS ???) that the machine came in.. Very interesting.

Playfield

The playfield was stripped early on and the contact was removed in a very short time. I removed the contact with a hair dryer set to low and I took my time. Not one speck of paint was raised. The adhesive residue was removed with Shellite (bunnings). The first clean was dome with Nifti on a rag, then Novus 2. Funny story with Novus - NO ONE sold it in Australia except Novus windscreens. I had to get it specially ordered in ! But as you can see, the results were stunning for a machine produced in 1977. I was VERY pleased !

Theres a scratch near the horseshoe - the only noticeable blemish on the playfield.

Thats one impressive playfield !

First Problem

Have a look at the below picture of the horseshoe area. The plastic guide is missing a section - in fact it is broken right off and is missing ! It should travel vertically and join the post near the wooden guide. This needs to be fixed / modified. I went to a great deal of trouble with this repair - but I learn a lot in the process !

Next Update - Fix the Horseshoe !

:D
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia