Author Topic: Bally Dr Who High End Restoration  (Read 21139 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Bally Dr Who High End Restoration
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2019, 10:04:55 PM »
The new cabinet didn't have the holes drilled for the headbox bracket, so I had to use simply geometry and mathematics to line up the holes perfectly.

Once I was sure that each side was even, I drilled a pilot hole and used a woodscrew to test clearances.

Once it is adjusted perfectly, I drill and bolt on the first bolt.

Other side ;

Done !

This is a new cabinet, but I didn't mind doing the extra work as these holes etc might be different from machine to machine. Working off ONE example may not be 100%. Because this is a high end resto, I wanted it to be mm perfect. Equal distances on both sides. The brackets will never scratch the side rails !

Moving on to an anomaly I've NEVER seen on a WPC machine. As I was teting the game, the transformer was hot - too hot to leave your hand on it. This could have been attributed to anything, but I thought I'd use a simple process of elimination to work out if the problem was the primary or secondary of the transformer. Unplug the secondary plaugs and leave the machine on for 4 hours - and it was still getting hot. So it must be the primary (mains). I checked the connector jumpers and they were fine, but from experience, I looked at the input connector and the connector was mis-wired from factory ! The Orange and the white / Orange returns are meant to be in the same row - but they were not !

This would have caused the overheating. But checking the circuit diagram, no damage other than heat would have been experienced. So I re pinned the connector ;

Tested the machine for 8 hours continuous and it was warm to touch. Very happy !

This COULD have been a LONG session of trouble shooting, but thankfully - it was solved quickly. One of several bizarre issues with the game and NEW replacement parts. No one has worked out the issue with the cam on the previous update  !@#

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia