Author Topic: Gulfstream Restoration  (Read 2929 times)

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Yass
Re: Gulfstream Restoration
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 07:25:38 PM »
The deeper i get into this hobby, the more frustrated and happy i am  :lol... my latest saga (sorry i only provide problems not solutions  :lol) is the playfield on the Gulfstream. Colour matching is not my forte to say the least.

The first thing i tried is to mix water based acrylics.. I'm finding it almost impossible to do due to the dry time and the fact that it dries darker. So when i thought i was close i dabbed a small amount of a close mix onto the playfield and worked it into the numerous chipouts. Stood out like dogsballs!! And when i cleaned the playfield up the paint came along with it. Now my playfield is covered in chip outs so this method wont do at all..

I've decided on stripping back the whole playfield, making up some sort of stencil and respraying the playfield in enamels. So now i've had a go on photoshop to see if i can come up with a colour thats close enough (no longer critical to get the paint exact as i will repaint everything) and flicked through the Pantone library that comes with PS2..  The closest Pantone colour i could find was 3255C (solid coated) but even this isnt really close. So then i played with the RGB and came out with rgb : 50:255:235 which is not bad.. But the problem with that is that i dont have a colour calibrated monitor so it doesnt really sho true colour anyway  *.*

So some questions (so many of them already..)

1. Can any paint stores make up a colour if i told them the rgb value?
2. what can i make the stencil out of?
3. how do i cut sections out of it that i want to paint without ruining the playfield with cuts
4. Where can i go to see the largest colour range ? Automotive ?
5. Should i just give up and decal the whole thing?
6. Am i a fool ... Oh wait i know the answer to that one already  &^&

Thanks guys!!