Author Topic: MM wireform ramp plating  (Read 460 times)

Offline Pajo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
MM wireform ramp plating
« on: September 02, 2015, 11:42:23 AM »
Hi everyone,

As part of my ongong MM restoration, I need to get my MM wireform ramps replated and as I couldn't find any recent relevant electroplating posts I thought I'd ask who people are using these days.  I'm in Northern NSW so would probably be posting them to whoever does the work.  I wouldn't want to use

I know some people get their mm wireforms goldplated and then clearcoated and some go brass and clearcoat.  I'd appreciate any advice on which if any is more durable, looks better, costs less etc. 

Most of all I'd love to hear where people have recently gotten their brass or gold plating done and what they thought of the job.  It would also be great to hear from anyone who had work done a while ago and can comment on how the plating has held up to game play.

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: MM wireform ramp plating
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 08:22:52 PM »
I would opt for 22k gold plated for durability and looks with a clearcoat added for protection.

Costs more than brass but looks better in terms of lustre and the wow factor.

Prices will vary greatly between businesses so it pays to shop around and get quotes (even from interstate). Many platers will quote top dollar just for the annoyance of having to do a small plating run of two or three ramps whilst for others that is their bread and butter. Expect to pay between 60-90 per ramp for a good quality job in genuine gold plate with polish and clearcoat and high level finish.

I would recommend A Class Metals in Adelaide or Precision Plating in Melbourne. Both offer plating and clearcoating so it is a one stop shop.

This is the set I did for one of my MM restorations with plating from A Class:

Close up shot. You can't even tell it has been clearcoated.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 08:59:51 PM by pinsanity »

Offline Pajo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: MM wireform ramp plating
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 04:42:44 PM »
Thanks Pinsanity, very helpful.

I contacted both Precision and A Class.  Precision told me that they don't do in house 2 pack clearcoat finishing, only some sort of electro lacquer finish over the plating.  The person I spoke to couldn't say if that was better than 2 pack.  A Class on the other hand sounded exactly like what I need so I'm going to give their 22k + 2 pack a go.  If they turn out like yours I'll be a happy man!

Regards
Paul #*#