Author Topic: Close Encounters Help needed Please  (Read 463 times)

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
Re: Close Encounters Help needed Please
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 09:50:15 PM »
The green/black is connected to the left flipper cabinet switch and left flipper coil, not both flippers.

I have removed the timer and also replaced the 5A circuit breaker with a fuse holder and 5A fuse to rule it out as a possible issue.  Now when I turn the machine on there is nothing at all.

I am guessing that the wires at the on/off switch will need to be moved around?  IN post #3 there is a pic of the layout of the wires at the on/off switch.  After removing the timer, there is now blue opposite green/black and 2xbrown opposite nothing.  Should the blue and brown wires be opposite each other?
Addicted to pins.

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 04:18:45 PM »
This is one scary thread
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 05:14:09 PM »
This is one scary thread

How do you think I feel !!! 

My last 3 machines now have had all sorts of weird stuff done to them and all revolving around the power supply.  I really wish people didn't stuff around with them in the past.  Might just have to go and make sure that life insurance is all up to date.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 05:27:06 PM »
The easiest way by far to rectify this machine is to completly unplug it... go to Jaycar and buy a 1 way 240V switch, push button or rocker which ever you prefer. You will then have one brown wire going into the swtich from the 240V source ( your mains lead) and a brown and blue coming out... you will be switching the active so to speak. Green earth goes to the base plate that the switch is mounted into... make sure that this also goes to a true earth further up the line. All earths should be connected to true earth via the mains cord. So check continuity on an earth in the machine and centre pin on your plu.. shouyld be UNDER 1 Ohm
Test with your multimeter that you have ZERO continuity between earthed plate and either brown or blue wires.
Flick the newly installed switch to ON.

Now go and plug it in and then switch on at the wall. If there is a fault then mains will trip, so unplug and get someone in to help. If not, machine will start up.

Then all we have to do is locate where the LHS flipper power is meant to be coming from and going to etc.

So long as you do everything with the machine unplugged you should be fine.... always switch on at the wall to start the machine so you are not near it when it fires up.
Once you know its OK.... you can breath again..LOL

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 10:29:56 PM »
Thanks Gav.  I will do all that and see how it goes.

If anyone has any ideas about the purple and black flipper wire I would be happy to listen.

Addicted to pins.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2013, 10:36:54 PM »
Im not comfortable giving advice with 240v mains.. but all you are doing is replacing the switch.. what goes to the delay relay is extra and shouldnt be there.. so piss it off. Make sure its UNPLUGGED  to work on and always isolate yourself from the machine when testing on turn on... nice long extension cord so you are far away etc
Anyone with a GTB sys1 should be able to tell you where the flipper wires go... they are all the same.

Good luck mate... ^^^

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2013, 10:51:40 PM »
I'm just glad that when I dropped it off you couldn't find a new power lead, I don't want a perm lol

Peter

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2013, 10:37:55 AM »
If you are not sure what you are doing you should get help.  If you don't know this can be dangerous or even fatal. Ensure machine is unplugged from mains each and every time you work on it.  Do you have a copy of a system 1 schematic? You will need this, someone has done a real hack on the machine and it needs to be rectified correctly.

The mains lead goes to a line filter, brown (active), blue (netural) and green earth go to the input of this line filter. The active from output side of this filter should go to fuse, other side of this fuse to on off switch, other side of off on switch goes to the 115v terminal of transformer ( should only be 1 wire on this terminal).  The neutral wire from the output of line filter goes to the COM terminal of transformer (direct). There should be 1 wire on this terminal.

Their will be different COM terminal that will have a wire looping to a different 115v terminal, don't touch these, no need. Don't connect to these.

Earth wire from filter must connect to the earring wires and transformer frame etc.

Don't do any of this unless you know what you are doing, get an electrician friend to assist.
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2013, 12:11:23 PM »
Well copying the wiring on my Sinbad machine, replacing he on/off switch, line filter and replacing the circuit breaker with just a 5A fuse, the machine has come back to life.  Not playable but there is life in it at least.  No sound, no lights or coils apart from the ball kickout but the displays are working and you can actually start a game.

The purple and black wire didn't have anything to do with the flipper, it was just the same colour.  On Sinbad there are two purple wires connected to the active of the line filter.  On this machine there was the purple and black wire connected to the line filter.  anyway, I sounded them out and it works out that the two purple wires that were connected to the timer were in fact the wires that would have been connected to the line filter which in turn are connected to the large transformer.  I sounded the purple and black wire out and it ended where it was attached to the timer.  So long story short, the purple and black wire is now connected to the line filter as it was and then connects to the purple wires so it is basically being used as an extension lead. 

I stood back and turned it on, no zap, sizzle, smoke or bangs.  No tingles out of the cabinet anywhere either that I have noticed.  Now to start re-pinning connectors, re-building boards etc and hopefully it will be all good.

Thanks so far for all the help.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2013, 12:23:43 PM »
Sounds like its all nicely under control, and thanks for posting back.. good to know your not smoking!