Author Topic: WWF Royal Rumble LEDs  (Read 375 times)

Offline rusty_dagger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Collingwood Park QLD
WWF Royal Rumble LEDs
« on: October 19, 2014, 03:36:15 PM »
I have just picked up a Data East Royal Rumble and I am thinking about putting LEDs in it. After doing some reading I have learnt about LED ghosting/flickering that seems to be worse on Data East machines. Can someone please give opinion on this and if I need to source LEDs that help reduce the ghosting.

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
Re: WWF Royal Rumble LEDs
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 09:16:25 PM »
I have just picked up a Data East Royal Rumble and I am thinking about putting LEDs in it. After doing some reading I have learnt about LED ghosting/flickering that seems to be worse on Data East machines. Can someone please give opinion on this and if I need to source LEDs that help reduce the ghosting.

While I can't really comment specifically on Royal Rumble, I do have LED's in my DE Starwars and never had a problem

Offline rusty_dagger

• Forum Posts:
  • Collingwood Park QLD
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 10:49:55 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I have ordered a couple of "standard" LEDs to give it a try. If its all good I will buy more.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 11:05:13 PM »
Not a huge issue with Data Easts. I use the LEDS from RTBB, and never had an issue. The ghosting can be prevalent on games that use "super bright" LEDs.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 05:25:49 AM »
I buy std single LEDs from pinball life in the USA. Cheaper than anyone else last time I checked.
Don't buy super rights cause they are just overkill. Compare to all Aust sellers before u decide on going to USA. I go USA cause bulk ordering has been cheapest. But just dbl check and get quotes n see.
If u buy 100 or more Leds from Pinball-life, he gives u 30 plus percent off.
Buy white and green and red n blue if u really want to achieve some great colours .
Lift ya playfield and count how many 555 or 44 types u will need.

The cost to buy a std kit is a rip off from most places.
You can buy in bulk from a Terry at PL and postage is cheap and even if you buy 100 of each colour or type, what u don't use u keep for next machine or sell to a friend or other member at your cost which will be easy to do. Still works out cheaper than a std already made kit. Ghosting dissapears on Bally Williams machines only csuse of updated anti ghosting Roms.
Buy single std LEDs and u get little to no ghosting. Hope it helps.
I haven't done my Royal Rumble yet, but cool machine.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 05:28:29 AM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline dealers choice

• Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock, N.S.W
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 09:40:35 PM »
maybe I dont look hard enough or card about ghosting, but iv'e just got super bright white in my Maverick and I love it. probably i'm not that fussy. I like it how it is.
I'm not cranky, I just want MORE pins!

Offline rusty_dagger

• Forum Posts:
  • Collingwood Park QLD
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 10:09:31 PM »
maybe I dont look hard enough or card about ghosting, but iv'e just got super bright white in my Maverick and I love it. probably i'm not that fussy. I like it how it is.

I think I am the same.
I bought some to try and under the playfield they are great not so sure for the GI though but still thinking of buying a complete kit.

Offline rusty_dagger

• Forum Posts:
  • Collingwood Park QLD
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 09:16:48 PM »
Bought some super bright for the GI and have decided they are too bright especially near the flippers. I will probably get some cool whites and try them.
I also tried the super brights in the back box and again they seems to bright with reflection onto the playfield glass.
They are great under the playfield though.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 09:58:48 PM »
They should call Super Bright LEDs "too bloody bright" cause I have never found a good use for them cause they are just over the top and cause too much glare or they just blind you.

Standard white LEDs or Cool work fine. I think the sample packs are the best way to work out what works and what doesn't. So many choices these days which can confuse the hell out of most people.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline rusty_dagger

• Forum Posts:
  • Collingwood Park QLD
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 10:35:05 PM »
The sample pack sounds the way to go. I bought a full set and now it looks like I wont use most of them. The ones further up the playfield and behind drop targets seems fine but near the flippers is kind of blinding.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 10:49:28 PM »
Each game needs to approached differently. I once did a ToM with super brights from RTBB and the game looked amazing. Try to do the same on a T3 and it was overbearing. Experimentation is the key - what looks good for me, might look like crap for someone else !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline rusty_dagger

• Forum Posts:
  • Collingwood Park QLD
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, 02:42:49 AM »
Played a few more games and the eyes must have adjusted as it didn't seem as bad.
I will change the ones near the flippers and I think it will be heaps better.

Offline Tank01

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 12:15:16 PM »
Hey Rusty, here is a link from the other forum, http://www.aussiearcade.com.au/showthread.php/68891-LEDs

these are not quite as bright as the higher end product but perfect for GI and back box lighting. Very easy to deal with, fast delivery and well priced.

I have a few spares laying around if you would like to try them before ordering, PM if required.

Cheers
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 12:20:24 PM by Tank01 »