Author Topic: Xenon pop bumper lights out  (Read 1793 times)

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
Re: Xenon pop bumper lights out
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2015, 10:18:02 PM »
Thanks again for the advice, I should have mentioned before but I'd checked the continuality on the braid and across the globe sockets with a DMM without issue. Also with a visual inspection I was hoping to find somthing shorting across the braid somewhere but if there is I can't see it. Unfortunatly all looks good there.

Offline Steevsee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 11:20:02 PM »
The GI circuit is very basic and not really too much to go wrong.

I know you have checked continuity but just want to make sure you tested both the bus and return lines as Gav suggested.
You should be able to get continuity along both lines right up to the J1 connector.

I tend to think there is a break somewhere rather than a short.  The lamps just stopped working during play if I understand correctly, and not after replacing globes or any other "tampering" with the GI circuit?  More likely a wire has come loose from vibrations, especially round the bumpers.
Only trouble it may not be obviously hanging loose but just no longer making a solid electrical connection.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 11:56:17 PM by Steevsee »

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2015, 07:58:32 PM »
Thanks for all of the advise so far. I still haven't gotten to the bottom of this issue but here's where I'm upto.

Pintoxicated came around for a few games on Saturday night and game me a hand checking over Xenon.

- All GI lighting is out.
- Buzzed out the GI string and there were no signs of any loose wires. 
- GI connector at the rectifier board looks fine.
- Checked voltage at TP4 and found only around 3V (I can't remember the actual reading but it was around 3V) which should be reading 6.3V.

From here we assumed an issue with the Rectifier board, possibly a bad diode at CR1-4 so left it at that for the night thinking that I'd try a different board in it when I had so time on Sunday. Anyway I did that with the board from my Flash Gordon but it made no difference.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2015, 09:04:01 PM »
Been a while since ive worked on an SS machine. But... the GI is straight from the transformer yes? Its the 6.5VAC line that goes through TP4 and fuse F5 ( 20amps).
If the potential difference between the two sides of the transformer output is only 3V then I would test both sides of the 6.5VAC line AT the transformer and read the voltage there. If good.. move along to the fuse etc.
If bad then you have either a drop at the high voltage or an increase at the low ( AC ground 0V). If you measure both of these with reference to ground then you may find a reading such as : 9.5V at high and 3V at AC ground.. gives you a potential difference of 6.5VAC.
Often a stray whisper of another cct is touching part of the GI and throwing the PD out.

Offline Dimsims

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Bass Coast, Vic
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2015, 09:08:35 PM »
Its amazing how simple something like this seems once you've found the problem, its finding it the problem that the trouble  &&

Its just a matter of elimination  *%*

Good luck & hope you find it  ^^^

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2015, 09:47:11 PM »
Been a while since ive worked on an SS machine. But... the GI is straight from the transformer yes? Its the 6.5VAC line that goes through TP4 and fuse F5 ( 20amps).
If the potential difference between the two sides of the transformer output is only 3V then I would test both sides of the 6.5VAC line AT the transformer and read the voltage there. If good.. move along to the fuse etc.
If bad then you have either a drop at the high voltage or an increase at the low ( AC ground 0V). If you measure both of these with reference to ground then you may find a reading such as : 9.5V at high and 3V at AC ground.. gives you a potential difference of 6.5VAC.
Often a stray whisper of another cct is touching part of the GI and throwing the PD out.

Thanks Gav,
I'll look into it again tomorrow.

Its amazing how simple something like this seems once you've found the problem, its finding it the problem that the trouble  &&

Its just a matter of elimination  *%*

Good luck & hope you find it  ^^^

Yep, so oftern the way that the once you know what the problem is then the fix is simple. It's just identifying the problem that's the issue, particularly with my limited tech skills.   @.@   Thank god for AP and friends who help out.  *%*

Offline Steevsee

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2015, 09:09:03 AM »
Thanks for all of the advise so far. I still haven't gotten to the bottom of this issue but here's where I'm upto.

Pintoxicated came around for a few games on Saturday night and game me a hand checking over Xenon.

- All GI lighting is out.
- Buzzed out the GI string and there were no signs of any loose wires. 
- GI connector at the rectifier board looks fine.
- Checked voltage at TP4 and found only around 3V (I can't remember the actual reading but it was around 3V) which should be reading 6.3V.

From here we assumed an issue with the Rectifier board, possibly a bad diode at CR1-4 so left it at that for the night thinking that I'd try a different board in it when I had so time on Sunday. Anyway I did that with the board from my Flash Gordon but it made no difference.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

When you say "All GI lighting is out", does that include the backbox GI or just the playfield GI?
And what about your coin lights?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 09:11:39 AM by Steevsee »

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2015, 08:40:48 PM »
Yes it's all GI including backbox and coin door, Unfortunately. I've been going over and over all wiring to make sure nothing is loose and touching the GI anywhere it shouldn't but nothing jumps out at me at the moment.

Offline Steevsee

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2015, 01:44:37 PM »
 Probably F5 has blown for all the GI to be out.

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2015, 03:27:34 PM »
I wish that was the case but apart from removing and testing all fuses I also swapped out the rectifier board from my Flash Gordon and that didn't fix it either.

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2015, 07:59:36 PM »
I wish that was the case but apart from removing and testing all fuses I also swapped out the rectifier board from my Flash Gordon and that didn't fix it either.

I have to eat my words here. I just turned on my Flash Gordon for the first time since I had the rectifier board in Xenon and F5 was blown so I looked at the fuse in Xenon again and its dead! I even have a witness who watched me test it on the weekend so don't know why it buzzed out on me then. Anyway by removing J1, J2 and J3 from the rectifier board I've narrowed it down to the cabinet (J2)

Offline Steevsee

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2015, 04:02:44 PM »
Can you elaborate a little more on the current situation.

Does the fuse blow when J2 is connected?
Are all the playfield lamps working now, with J2 unplugged?

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2015, 05:14:08 PM »
Can you elaborate a little more on the current situation.

Does the fuse blow when J2 is connected?
Are all the playfield lamps working now, with J2 unplugged?

Yes, with J2 unplugged the fuse does not blow and I have full GI lamps to the playfield and backbox. I thought perhaps I had the wrong lamp sockets in the coin door which I had refurbished over a year ago but I checked those and I've used the correct E-120-162 sockets. That's basically where I'm up to at the moment. 

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2015, 09:37:07 AM »
I didn't get much time last night but unplugged the coin door and plugged J2 back in. Everything plugged in worked so it looks like my issue is on the coin door somewhere. I'll start with removing the three coin door globes tonight.

Offline Steevsee

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2015, 02:08:19 PM »
Sounds like you're getting closer to the problem.

Might be almost too late now, but do you have access to a circuit breaker to save fuses while testing.
Jaycar sells them for just under $10 but you can get them cheaper online.